VAT invoice received

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i took an advert out with a magazine (small local advertising booklet) around Feb 2010. Only in for one month. I agreed a price of £115 with the guy and paid by cheque. All was well but today i recieved a VAT invoice off them with a note saying 'please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that this VAT only invoice may cause you. We have been in negotiations with HMRC regarding the VAT status of our trade and have had to implement a back dated registration. We thank you for your cooperation.'

Should i pay it? Do i have to pay it? I am not VAT registered. I dont intend on using them again.

thanks

Sponsored Links
i took an advert out with a magazine (small local advertising booklet) around Feb 2010. Only in for one month. I agreed a price of £115 with the guy and paid by cheque. All was well but today i recieved a VAT invoice off them with a note saying 'please accept our apologies for any inconvenience that this VAT only invoice may cause you. We have been in negotiations with HMRC regarding the VAT status of our trade and have had to implement a back dated registration. We thank you for your cooperation.'

Should i pay it? Do i have to pay it? I am not VAT registered. I dont intend on using them again.

thanks

Give them two words the second being off ;)

Personally, I would ignore it ...... they're trying it on :)

Couldn't agree more with the advice you've been given in the two previous posts.

Sponsored Links
If you bought something from a shop for £100, and as you left the store the manager chased after you and said "sorry, we forgot to add the VAT on to the price, you need to pay more"
Wouldn't you tell him where to go?

It might be better to phone HMRC and ask if the magazine publisher is allowed to do this.

If it was a few months ago, £115 looks just like a £100 charge plus VAT at the then rate

Have you still got the original bill they sent you? Does it mention VAT?

I reckon they are just trying it on. Probably they have either been told their turnover is so high they should have been VAT registered; or else they thought they were selling a servive that was not VATable, or, just maybe, they have decided to register for VAT for their own advantage (e.g. they bought a lot of stuff). I think you can take the view that you placed an order and paid a bill, if they now have to pay VAT, that's their hard luck.

I am having a similar experience.
About 2 years ago I had a windscreen replacement by Autoglass and I paid the £50 excees at that time.
I recently received a VAT Invoice from Autoglass for £35 which they claimed was outstanding and they reminded me that their contract was with me, not my insurer, even though the insurer 'employed' them to replace my screen.

When I checked the invoice with my insurer they told me that I do not have to pay unless I am registered for VAT.

When I checked the invoice with my insurer they told me that I do not have to pay unless I am registered for VAT.

So when you do your shopping at a£da etc as your not vat registered do you tell them you don't pay the vat !!

Sounds like the insurance company either hasn't paid the full amount or only pays up to a limit. leaving you to pay the rest . check out your policy to say what it says regarding windscreen replacement.

Article 6 of Autoglass Terms & Conditions:
"If you or the company who owns the vehicle is registered for VAT, the VAT element is payable at the time of completion of your job unless we agree to invoice you separately."

The original Invoice requesting the £35 stated:
"An invoice has now been raised in your name as per our terms and conditions. The remaining balance has been invoiced to your insurance company as requested.
Please be aware that should your insurance company decline to pay we will require the additional cost to be paid by you in due course."

Sounds like they've been caught by HMRC and should have been VAT registered some time ago. Ignore it. They are obviously trying to get customers who are VAT registered to pay the VAT as it is no skin off their noses as they can claim it back. If you're not VAT registered just say no. You entered the arrangement in good faith if they should have been registered and weren't it's their tough luck.

Sponsored Links
Back