Vat notice 708

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry if posted in wrong section.

I am trying to understand the process when a property has been empty for over 2 years. I understand some of the works will attract 5% VAT instead of 20% if the contractor is VAT registered. The house needs complete renovation.

I tried to call HMRC today for clarification on this, after a 55 minute wait I got cut off:(

So could someone please explain to me do I actually need to obtain a certificate? Or is the letter from the council saying that the house has been empty for over 2 years enough?

Have many contractors heard of this or am I going to have problems?

Is it okay to use for the window company who are supplying & fitting?

Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
It is even more "amazing" that one year after I bought a listed cottage the VAT rules changed and basically removed the exemption from VAT for renovation of listed buildings.

Sponsored Links
Your local council will have an Empty Homes Officer (yeah I was amazed)- get onto him/her, a letter from them confirming the empty period is all you need.

'Wabbitpoo' there's no need to be rude. I have read through those pages and am still not sure exactly of the regulations so excuse me for asking on a building forum for help.

To everyone else, I have a letter from the council to confirm that the property has been empty for 2 years. Is this all I need to show to contractors? Or is there some sort of certificate/notice that I need to apply for?

That's all you need. Be worth having a copy of that VAT notice handy to show your contractor as well.

That's all you need. Be worth having a copy of that VAT notice handy to show your contractor as well.

Apologies, when you say have a copy of the notice to hand do you mean that actual letter from the council or is there some sort of other document 'notice' that I need to obtain? Sorry!

Nah, I meant VAT Notice 708- some contractors may not be aware of the existence of the scheme or how it works in detail

Nah, I meant VAT Notice 708- some contractors may not be aware of the existence of the scheme or how it works in detail

Got you thanks! Is it well known in the building trade or am I going to have to convince people?

You will need to issue a certificate - it's all explained in Vat Notice 708.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back