VAT on fuel extra hidden duty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
VAT on fuel - extra hidden duty
When vat was reduced to 15% in January 2009 the chancellor levied an extra 2p per litre of fuel, to compensate for the loss of revenue from the vat reduction.

Now that vat has now gone back to 17.5%, guess what, the extra 2p is still there!

Don't let them get away with it.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/DutyReduction/

Sponsored Links
What difference will it make? Even if they take off the 2p, this is about the rate of increase per day round my way at the moment! Petrol station near my shop this morning had £1.159 this morning for both, this afternoon it was £1.179. :evil:

Morrisons seem to be holding it down again though. Good on them. :D

Fuel duty should be tripled to prevent petrol guzzling 4x4s from using up all the world's oil supplies.

Sponsored Links
Fuel duty should be tripled to prevent petrol guzzling 4x4s from using up all the world's oil supplies.
So we all have to pay three times as much, in the hope that it deters 4x4 users from paying that price :confused: :confused: something not quite correct there. :eek:

Think I'd ike to see petrol priced per litre partly againt the fuel efficiency of the car. Thus for example, by registration recognition at the forecourt, fuel prices for a 4 by 4 registered to an urban address could be priced at a completely different rate to one in the countryside which is registered as a "working" vehicle. I know there are problems to be had, but I think there's a possible principle to consider here

The government is the same as any other business and will always charge what the market will stand!

Forget the petitions and dig deep everyone! :(

The best way to make the petrol companies to put the prices down, is to buy the minimum petrol that you need, or boycott the forecourts one day a week something needs to be done? at this rate were gonna pay £10 a gallon any one got any Ideas, lets share them. :(

So we all have to pay three times as much, in the hope that it deters 4x4 users from paying that price :confused: :confused: something not quite correct there. :eek:

You reduce other expenditure to balance it. Ie - lower VAT or income tax.

The best way to make the petrol companies to put the prices down, is to buy the minimum petrol that you need, or boycott the forecourts one day a week something needs to be done? at this rate were gonna pay £10 a gallon any one got any Ideas, lets share them. :(

If you think it's going to get better you're on a different planet. China and India are industrialising. We can't pump more oil out of the ground as it's running out. You tell us all where the oil is going to come from that will make it a commodity that is in over abundance and you'll sort the worlds oil crisis. The reality is that it's in short supply so the price is only going one way.

ts all down to the government.. in the USA they only pay £2 for a gallon, which is 4.5 litres..

Instead of trying to 'deter' us from using fuel by constantly uppping the tax on it, which punishes those that drive economical cars and those who live in rural areas and rely on their cars, why not just ban people owning uneconomical vehicles unless they can justify their need?

Tax on fuel is just a way for the government to bleed more money out of us by taxing something they no we will never do without and then they disguise it as their heroic fight against climate change. The lifestyles we live nowadays do not give us the option of choosing whether we buy fuel or not, we simply can't live without. Remember the fuel blockades last decade, it was only a few days before there was blind panic and the country started grinding to a halt. We simply can't live without it.

The 'don't buy fuel on 18th March' campains don't really work in my opinion because the fuel companies know you'll just buy extra the day before or the day after so it makes little difference to them and will probably be more inconvenient for the motorist. The best suggestion i've heard is to boycott Esso and BP stations. I understand these are now owned by the same people and if millions of people avoided using their fuel stations over a prolonged period of time - a month or more - then they'd have to do something because that would really hurt them. It sounds a good idea but getting enough people to actually do it is quite another matter!

The best suggestion i've heard is to boycott Esso and BP stations. I understand these are now owned by the same people and if millions of people avoided using their fuel stations over a prolonged period of time - a month or more - then they'd have to do something because that would really hurt them. It sounds a good idea but getting enough people to actually do it is quite another matter!
Who do you think Asda, Morrisons, Tesco and Sainsburys buy their forecourt petrol from? :rolleyes: It wont hurt anyone. AFAICT, Morrisons sell BP petrol in Doncaster.

China and India should be forced to industrialise using green resources. Wind farms, solar and nuclear energy etc. Why should a country industrialise using old technology? Did the UK? No! We industrialised using new technology (at the time)

The best suggestion i've heard is to boycott Esso and BP stations. I understand these are now owned by the same people and if millions of people avoided using their fuel stations over a prolonged period of time - a month or more - then they'd have to do something because that would really hurt them. It sounds a good idea but getting enough people to actually do it is quite another matter!
Who do you think Asda, Morrisons, Tesco and Sainsburys buy their forecourt petrol from? :rolleyes: It wont hurt anyone. AFAICT, Morrisons sell BP petrol in Doncaster.

China and India should be forced to industrialise using green resources. Wind farms, solar and nuclear energy etc. Why should a country industrialise using old technology? Did the UK? No! We industrialised using new technology (at the time)

Supermarkets get their petrol from a number of supplier. The main supplier to Morrisons ASDS etc are called Greenenergy. BP might supply the odd few due to stores being near refineries, but the petrol will not be in the same league as BP or Shell petrol.

Supermarket petrol has fewer additives than the major brands. When a tanker collects petrol from a refinery, they collect the base petrol which is then added to with the relevant additives depending on where it is being delivered to.

Personally I would never buy petrol from Morrisons, a good friend of mine was the manager of a Morrisons petrol station, he told me do not buy any petrol from us as the quality was nothing compared to the big companies. People have complained in the past that after filling up with supermarket petrol they have experienced running problems.

Sponsored Links
Back