vauxhall combo 1.7 2003 plate

• Thread starter mickyyoungplumb
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the engine code?

How many miles has it done?

Is it a 1.7DTi or 1.7CDTi?

There is a common problem with the 1.7DTi (Y17DT/Y17DTL) which doesn't give any warning or symptoms, is commonly misdiagnosed, and can be fixed with a soldering iron and a tube of silicone sealant. :D

Sounds like a water ingress issue.....care to share this one? :p
John :)

burnerman, i thought it was a 1.7 di??? im unsure
it has done 131,000 .

Sponsored Links
I'd still be inclined to remove, check and maybe replace the sensors that exist around the engine, Mick......the crank position sensor (generalising) is prone to failure when hot, but is as good as gold when cooled down......I have had to renew a good few of these in the past, but not one ECU for this symptom.
I have to confess that very few Vauxhalls come my way though, so my opinions don't count for a great deal. Just want to get your van working for its keep!
John :)

burnerman, i thought it was a 1.7 di??? im unsure
it has done 131,000 .
Right, that's as good as anything, if it's a Di then it's got the intercooler-less Y17DTL engine inside it.

No, it's not a water ingress issue, it's a dry solder joint issue. Usually, it flags up a pump sensor or spill valve error code, which is a red herring, and can results in a garage wanting £1000 to replace the pump. Furthermore, the crank sensors on these protrude into the crankcase, so shouldn't get dirty (unless you really need an oil change!). If it was an immobiliser, you'd have flashing spanner lights I reckon, and no response from the starter.

The problem is the 'interface' EDU (between pump and ECU) which sits at the back of the engine, and looks like this.

It can be accessed from underneath, and is fairly easy to take out and swap. A garage will probably charge about £300-£400 to swap it, or you can have a look at it yourself.

At the back, you can peel away the cover to reveal the PCB:

The common failures are dry joints on the components with legs, examples of which I've shown below

Yes, for a lot of them you have to look VERY carefully, as they're never as obvious as that last picture!

What I would suggest, and with the aid of the photo below, is dab some non-corrosive solder on them (Fry's fluxite is pretty mild) and then go at each with a 25W soldering iron or gun, held for a couple of seconds after the solder has melted.

The silicone is to seal the cover back on afterwards. That should fix the problem, or at least it did on my girlfriend's Corsa after it did the same thing after 150k, cost = £2 of silicone. Again, it was fine after it cooled down, but was dead again once we towed it home, so you're right not to trust it. My Astra did the same after 70k, but the garage fitted a new EDU that time.

right, well i drove the van again and same thing. roke down after ten minutes. I had aa out today and he was reluctant to help. He just checked to see if the diesel was being pumped when turning over. It wasnt therefore he said it was either the pump or the ecu. Not the edu?

I have took the ecu off, i had some trouble getting the back case off, when i did i looked for ages, it was all covered in waterproof jelly type solution. here was a bit of jelly that was squashed. It was right in one of the corners where there was 3 small metal splints going between two points. One looked broke off, it is broke off as i cleared the jelly a bit. Problem is, im wondering if i damaged it popping the plate off or if that is the problem. I will post a pic in a tic and would be grateful for feedback

Sponsored Links
Right, you have the wrong unit, the unit on top is fine, put it back and don't touch it again. I too have had the cover off those and yes they're filled with Jelly, but the one at the back of the engine, accessed from underneath, doesn't. It also looks like the one in the photo, with only one connector. The cover also seemed to come off a lot easier on those.

AA won't really have an intimate knowledge of every car, so won't know what/if an EDU is. But if you have it up on axle stands all will become a lot clearer.

If you want to put a picture online of the ECU, then use the 'upload pictures' link at the top of the thread and add some photos to a new album. Generally speaking though, if the tracks are still intact, you'll be OK. You'd be unlucky to damage any of the tracks with a single pass of the stanley knife. A dented solder joint won't hurt either, just be sure it's not now tracking across to it's neighbour. Otherwise put it back and get the right unit out.

well, if you read my post. Like i said i took the cover off the ecu and there was one part where the jelly was squashed and three conductive paths wer squashed and one unattached and now i have removed the bonding path.

There are lots of forums saying the ecu on this year van was a common problem. How can you be sure its the edu? and would this broken path on the ecu not be the problem?

i havea pic but dont know how to attach them here

GALLERY]

There are lots of forums saying the ecu on this year van was a common problem. How can you be sure its the edu? and would this broken path on the ecu not be the problem?
Some people call the EDU the "pump ECU" as opposed to the "main ECU", some say just ECU because that's what the garage told them. Some call it an EDC.

I've heard of main ECUs on these engines filling with water and failing, not sure how that would would work as the jelly's there to protect them, and the main ECU sits on top of the engine.

I cannot be sure if it's the EDU, but it's got the right symptoms and it's a cheap/free thing to fix if you do find that's the cause. The Corsa I was mentioning has since done another 10k and has been fine.

If you want some more confidence and forum searching, the same engine variant is fitted to the Astra and Corsa models as both the 1.7DTi and 1.7Di. The DTi model is exactly the same mechanically & electronically but has an intercooler and hence is slightly more powerful.

Here's someone taking theirs completely to bits including getting the board off :confused: Not quite sure why to be honest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxz9HYNE2tg

And here's someone just doing a repair http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVS1fU8-DzQ

a free test?? i dont think a mobile mechanic is going to come out and test it with his computer for free. do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back