Vauxhall corsa making screeching sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all - my 2015 vauxhall corsa is making a screeching sound as I'm turning it on (sounds a bit like a lawnmower) and having to try and turn it on multiple times before it starts. Its got around 75k on the clock I think and 1.4l. Battery and alternator are supposedly fine (went to Halfords).

Any ideas would be appreciated. Video link below.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't know what that is (not the standard starter motor screech) but I suspect many on here won't want to go through the faff and potential security risk) of downloading a zip file, upload it to youtube instead and post a link.

Downloaded it on my phone; it's fine, just a video inside.

The sound isn't amazingly clear; you'd be better opening the bonnet and leaving the phone outside somewhere in the engine bay (not on top of the engine) on record..

..but it sounds like the starter motor isn't engaging properly and is grinding something rather than turning the engine over. Sometimes, perhaps, the gearing catches properly and turns the engine over so it starts normally.

Does the engine run fine and normally if you bump start it?*

Have a helper turn the engine over while you look/record. Can you see anything (belts/wheels/pulleys) moving when the starter is operated and that sound is heard?

* If you never bump started a car before:
- turn the key to the position just before the spring loaded position that operates the starter motor so all the dash lights come on
- depress the clutch pedal and keep it held down put the car in second gear
- roll the car down a hill or have a helper push the car to about 5 mph
- lift the clutch pedal up all the way and then immediately depress it all the way to the floor again and hold it there. If no joy, repeat in first gear

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would say that the starter motor is spinning but the gear pinion isn't being pushed along it's shaft to engage with the flywheel ring gear first.
It needs to be removed and given a thorough clean before embarking on a replacement.
John :)

I think the engine needs to be running to generate a fault code!
I've never known a faulty starter motor generate a code though.
John :)

Downloaded it on my phone; it's fine, just a video inside.

The sound isn't amazingly clear; you'd be better opening the bonnet and leaving the phone outside somewhere in the engine bay (not on top of the engine) on record..

..but it sounds like the starter motor isn't engaging properly and is grinding something rather than turning the engine over. Sometimes, perhaps, the gearing catches properly and turns the engine over so it starts normally.

Does the engine run fine and normally if you bump start it?*

Have a helper turn the engine over while you look/record. Can you see anything (belts/wheels/pulleys) moving when the starter is operated and that sound is heard?

* If you never bump started a car before:
- turn the key to the position just before the spring loaded position that operates the starter motor so all the dash lights come on
- depress the clutch pedal and keep it held down put the car in second gear
- roll the car down a hill or have a helper push the car to about 5 mph
- lift the clutch pedal up all the way and then immediately depress it all the way to the floor again and hold it there. If no joy, repeat in first gear
Thanks for this.

I'm gonna Struggle to bump start it as not sure it'll move from the drive!

Sponsored Links
Back