Vauxhall corsa making screeching sound

Sponsored Links
Having watched the second video, I'm still with my original supposition that the starter gears aren't engaging and are just grinding. Whip the starter motor off and show us a pic of the cog on the end of it

Be careful; the starter motor takes a chunky feed from the battery. Disconnect the battery first so you don't accidentally bridge the starter positive lead to the bodywork/engine and melt the spanner into your hand. When removing the battery undo the negative terminal first (so if you accidentally bridge the battery terminal to the bodywork both sides are negative and nothing happens, then if you later do the same with the positive the negative is already disconnected so again, nothing happens. When refitting, fit positive first for the same reasons)

Don't worry too much about reading codes for now; there seems clearly some physical malady related to the starter motor

Last edited:
The engine management lamp should illuminate with the ignition and then immediately go out once the engine starts.
If it starts to flash red then you've real bother!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Having watched the second video, I'm still with my original supposition that the starter gears aren't engaging and are just grinding. Whip the starter motor off and show us a pic of the cog on the end of it

Be careful; the starter motor takes a chunky feed from the battery. Disconnect the battery first so you don't accidentally bridge the starter positive lead to the bodywork/engine and melt the spanner into your hand. When removing the battery undo the negative terminal first (so if you accidentally bridge the battery terminal to the bodywork both sides are negative and nothing happens, then if you later do the same with the positive the negative is already disconnected so again, nothing happens. When refitting, fit positive first for the same reasons)

Don't worry too much about reading codes for now; there seems clearly some physical malady related to the starter motor

Really helpful - thank you so much. I'm a real novice with cars, so I don't think I'll disassemble parts myself. Will likely take to a mechanic, and your guidance means I can guide them to the right fix. Really appreciate your time!

Sponsored Links
Back