VDE Pliers - rusting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My VDE long nose pliers have some specs of rust. Can I please have some advice on how to clean this and prevent this in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Light rub with some wire wool to remove the rust and a spray with WD40 every so often.

Yes, but after spraying wipe them dry after a few minutes.

Sponsored Links
Is 3 in 1 preferable in this scenario? I have both Wd40 and the oil in the shed

Thanks for this all. I rubbed it down with some wire wool and applied some oil. It’s come up as new

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Use a wax, it lasts longer, less messy and not wet. Tool wax is a bit expensive or make some wax from beeswax and linseed oil.

You can keep an oily rag in the toolbox to wipe things after use.
And maybe consider lining the bottom of the tool box with VCI paper as well if it is reasonably sealed? Having gone over to using water sealed tool boxes recently (deWalt Tough System 2) I have started using silica gel bags inside my tool boxes which have so far kept things rust free over the 2 week Christmas shut down when it seemingly rained every day and my tools were stored in a damp out building. Seemed to make a difference

Buy better made tools?
Whilst some manufacturers chromium plate tools, that costs a lot more and the plated tools are often no better quality than unplated ones from the same manufacturer. In any case many tools are simply not available plated, just think wood chisels, files, taps and dies, etc meaning that steps always need to be taken to protect them

Last edited by a moderator:
The downside to chrome plating is that if it is ever damaged by cracking or ground off then the steel underneath actually rusts faster. if kept intact it really does protect well.

The other downside is that flakes of chromium can enter clean areas and cause damage - not noticeable on your granny's Fiesta engine, but potentially disasterous in the bearings of a jet engine. That's why high quality screwdrivers often have chemically black tips rather than being chrome plated all the way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back