vegetable oil fill up at tescooooooos

What happened to our young sparky friend running a Vaux astra on the mix? Seems to have vanished ... :D

Sponsored Links
empip said:
What happened to our young sparky friend running a Vaux astra on the mix? Seems to have vanished ... :D

Either blew himself and the car up, or is doin life in prison for running his car on Crisp 'n' dry :LOL:

i tried running my car (l200 warrior) on veg oil just to see if it would work (i get diesel as part of my job so have no need to do this all the time), id read loads of posts about it on the l200 owners club and also on the pajero owners club. to do it properly you would need a conversion kit, this could most likly be self fitted at there aint much to it. Basically its a 2nd tank that has a heater in it, this warms the oil making it less viscous. but in the summer this is not usually needed and straight oil can be used. the cheapest oil is best as it tends to be thinner.
basically my findings were the car had a slightly improved topend, slightly faster acceleration and more mpg, this is due to veg oil burning slightly hotter apparently. there were no detrimental effects. a 50/50 mix wiv normal diesel would be fine all round an would work out about 60p per litre. although you would be taking a risk with regards to duty, but you could say it was bio-diesel. if you did get caught you would be very unlucky, the fuel testing vans are more interested in HGV's using red or green derv, than a guy in a van running on veg oil. Also with regards to the smell being a giv away, bioderv is usually just processed used veg oil that has been filtered an thinned down, and has the same smell as if u used veg oil.

Eddie M said:
simon_d said:
2: its 47.1ppl, or 27.1ppl for biodiesel (thats after transesterfication has been complted, not mixed with normal diesel)

47.1 parts per litre of what ? Chip fat hasn't been transesterfied it is not bio-diesel. The 5% white spirit is only quoted from other sources, as I said, I've never dared use chip fat in my diesel.

ppl=pence per litre.

(should have made it more obvious)

have made biodiesel and paid full tax (27.1ppl) for the last 3 years. before that i did use SVO in my transit in warmer months

Sponsored Links
^neo^ said:
empip said:

Either blew himself and the car up, or is doin life in prison for running his car on Crisp 'n' dry :LOL:

if he isnt careful then hell probably get caught!

and with thi government i wouldnt be surprised if anyone did get life for tax evasion

Suffolklad said:
........surely veg oil is non polluting...........

As big a misconception as the "green fuel" idea. Get it out of your head than ANY fuel being used for road transport is non polluting. The fuel has to come from somewhere, and if it has come from an arable crop, it has taken fuel and fertiliser (both made from fossil fuels) to grow it. Then it is transported to wherever (using fossil fuels).

The people who are buying the stuff from tesco etc are intrested in nothing more than getting something on the cheap. Lots of people in this country (and forum!!) whinge about having to pay for something, yet people from far flung places travel across 50 countries to be able to live here, there must be something wrong with one of the views.

Putting "green" fuels in vehicles is unsustainable. If all the vehicles in this country were run on bio-fuel, it would take five times the land area of the UK to grow the crops required.

I went to an injector repair shop last year and saw the results bio-fuels can give you. I'll carry on buying mine from the garage thanks. With modern injectors costing £2000 a set to replace, it doesn't bear thinking about.
For experts who are able to look after themselves, using it is fine, but I'm no expert, and I don't need the hassle of the possible consequences.

There was a guy on Radio 2 with Jeremy Vine a couple of weeks ago who had been running a brand new Toyota on used chip shop oil.

When asked if this invalidated the warranty the guy said that he had been given the green light from Toyota to use it....oh and yes he also said he was paying the correct rate of duty on the fuel, but as the chip shop oil cost nothing then all he was paying was 25p per litre.

i bet he gets a visit from customs and excise soon.

i dont think its duty on the oil they are worried about, since if you buy it, you have paid for it, i think its something to do with not paying duty as a fuel.

there is often a "fuel testing unit" at the bottom of the m1, they do seem to pull over quite a few.

I thought that a "biomix" was being sold at some of the pumps?

How is that treated to show that its duty paid if the fuel testing unit stop you?

Tony

I was browsing around (as you do) and came across this discussion (ooh err). Having used bio-diesel, I thought I'd come and share my experiences.

My boss recently started producing his own bio-diesel to run a fleet of about 15 trucks, from P-reg's ('96) up to a 54 plate ('04), (he couldn't use it on the 55 Scania cos of the warranty - check with your manufacturer before putting it in anything of value)

It cost him thousands to set up - you need several filters to clean the stuff up, then there's all the pumps etc. (not to mention his mug of a nephew that spent all day in there making the stuff)

I don't know exactly what he added to it (but I think it was meths and ...something else), but it needs something to actually produce the 'bang'.

As it was recycled stuff from chip-shops and pubs (with the duty, buying it fresh would cost more than diesel), it smelled. When I say smelled, I mean go stick your head in a chip fryer that hasn't been cleaned for a month, then multiply that multiple times and you're starting to get close.

From an environmental point of view, you can't get much better (electric just won't cut the mustard if you're pulling 44ton!), all of his oil was sourced from places that had to get rid of the stuff anyway - this way an otherwise useless by-product (of chips), was converted to tractive effort and exhaust fumes - something you're going to get from these vehicles anyway, at least veg oil is cleaner than diesel.

Effects on the vehicle? Increased fuel consumption, but more power. The only real issue we had was fuel filters - they needed cleaning every month and replacing every 3-4 months, and in the cold it had a habit of waxing, but a mix of 50/50 bio/diesel solved both of these issues.

Also for anyone with boats or caravans - it'll bugger you're night-heater (a little diesel burner to keep you nice and toasty when the engine's off), but I guess most would be running them on red(?), so I guess that one only really affects the truckers.

In summary? Only economically viable (doing it 'properly' that is) if you're supplying several vehicles. And don't use it if you like chips - I've been put off for life!

Sponsored Links
Back