vegetable oil fill up at tescooooooos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there i was parking up at the supermarket the other day next to a guy in a n reg land drover diesel. he had a trolley full of tescooooo 2ltr vegetable oil bottles and was pouring them in his landdrover. i asked him how it runs on it and he said fine get more miles per gallon than diesel and at 40 p litre he said alot cheaper. so i asked him yes but what about the engine and he said well id drink vegetable oil but not diesel so cant do any harm hey . . he drove off ok he did say the older disels run ok on it . so has any one else seen this at tescccccos? , will it carbon up the engine ? will it harm engine in long run ? ive heard of it before but not seen it . love to hear from any one tried it

Sponsored Links
its no cheaper if he pays the duty if he dosn,t he is breaking the law
and we all know that customs and excise can be evil :evil: :evil: :evil: not only that they have sweeping powers and can confiscate vehicles :cry:

With some older vehicles there can sometimes be problems with vegetable based oils adversly affecting the fuel feed lines and the pump seals, especially if the oil used is the waste cooking oil collected from the local chippy. Also, these oils do give the authorities an opportunity to identify the vehicles, the smell follows you about like a swarm of flies. There is a lot of information now about correctly using diesel/veg oil mixes but, the excise duty must still be paid. However, savings can be made and, in my opinion, this will be a growth area (no pun) when the farming industry and chemical Companies get together and utilise suitable crops like oilseed rape etc. I do know of vehicles being run on these home grown fuels, with the preparation being done, at home, with a fairly simple mixing system which allows the addition of suitable additives etc. I understand that, with the duty paid and the base oil (ex chippy) being free, a suitable fuel can be made for around 35/40 pence per litre.

They did an article of fifth gear where one of the presenters drove coast to coast by simply asking local chippys if they give him some of their used chip oil, chippys are generally happy to give it away as otherwise they have to pay for disposal. A few things to bear in mind though.

You really need to process the oil before use, i.e filter and strain through activated charcoal to remove some of the smell.

You should also add 5% white spirit.

You have to pay HMRC 25p per litre.

Other than that though it is supposed to be fine, although I'm not brave enough to try it on my diesel :LOL:

Sponsored Links
guys this was brand new oil i see him pouring in so no bits in it. so you are telling me this guy should pay HMRC 25 p a litre lol what for ? surely veg oil is non polluting they shouldnt be charging duty . so if they dipped his tank and found pure veg oil he could get finned same as red diesel . this guy was pouring it in in broad day light.so when it comes out exshaust does it smell like a chip shop mmmm?. this guy looked very happy pouring it in lol have to try and spot him again when i go shoping or smell every landdrover i get behind

he must pay duty its the use he is puting it to same as red deisel for farmers or heating

there is no duty on food stuffs but there is duty on fuel ;)

hope he never drives down the M1, i have often seen a van which says

"customs and excise fuel testing unit"

and lots of old bill

i think the goverment should encourage people to go green , not punish them . but i suppose they lose out on the old tax . i thought it was clever of this guy , i think us road uses get a bad deal with road tax and fuel duty , we must have the highest fuel road duty in world , and the worst roads . lets face it all us car uses get a bad deal, so i say good luck to this guy

Could always only pay half the duty you should really pay and they will never know how much you should really have paid over but as you have paid some you should be in the clear, well unless they start investigating and follow you around for 6 months.

they are not that nice.

if you pay the tax man or vat man something they then know about you. they then say how much you owe them, you have to prove that you dont owe them that much, thereby you admit how much you do owe.

Got a mate who runs a citroen berlingo van on it. 50/50 mix with diesel.
Smells like a chip van when its running.

Surely veg oil should be classed as a "green fuel" so shouldn't be taxed? :confused:
Just say you're doing your bit for the environment :)

Eddie M said:
You should also add 5% white spirit.

You have to pay HMRC 25p per litre.

1: DO NOT under any circumstances mix fuel with white spirit.

2: its 47.1ppl, or 27.1ppl for biodiesel (thats after transesterfication has been complted, not mixed with normal diesel)

few other notes: all diesel engines will run on cooking oil. only problem is gettin the stuff into the cylinders. older cars with IDI engines work best, but you can use it with DTI, CDTI etc. watch the pump tho. bosch pumps have a good chance of working fine, but lucas and some other self destruct at the sight of veg oil.

main thing here is the tempreature. cooking oil has around the same viscosity as diesel at around 80 deg C. below that and its slightly thicker, which can have some problems with newer engines. gives faulty sensor readings and can put you in limp home mode.

have used biodiesel in my van and cars for around 5 years now. never had any problems. and yes, its all done legit.

** please be aware that you do NOT want to get caught with this in your tank if your not payin tax. you will be in trouble and better be saying goodbye to your car.
alternative is to say your an immigrant and its legal were you were so it must be legal here

^neo^ said:
Surely veg oil should be classed as a "green fuel" so shouldn't be taxed? :confused:
Just say you're doing your bit for the environment :)

youd think that. every other country is free. some countries are researching into making this more viable and reduce diesel usage

simon_d said:
2: its 47.1ppl, or 27.1ppl for biodiesel (thats after transesterfication has been complted, not mixed with normal diesel)

47.1 parts per litre of what ? Chip fat hasn't been transesterfied it is not bio-diesel. The 5% white spirit is only quoted from other sources, as I said, I've never dared use chip fat in my diesel.

Sponsored Links
Back