Vehicle insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok try to fathom this out, need to re insure wifes shopping trolley, dog, garden waste carrier 05 plate 1.5 dci Clio 60mpg £30 road tax, good little cheap run about.
Insurance fromm AA gone from £145 to £245 , no accidents etc, so get a quote for £175, from another company, it states the value of the car between £380-£330
With excess of £350 so im thinking just go for TParty as wouldn't get anything back if we were writen off ,that came up as £245 so how can T party be more expensive than fully comp?

Sponsored Links
Third party is associated with more high risk drivers so pay a premium. Not all are high risk of course, I did the same as you for my son's car and was surprised comprehensive was cheaper.

Comprehensive is normally cheaper plus you are usually allowed to drive other vehicles as well as having windscreen cover.

Try adding your driving licence number. Made a big difference on the renewal of my 435d, which the g/f keeps crashing.

Sponsored Links
Yes, comprehensive always worked out cheaper for me.
And for some mysterious reasons business insurance was even cheaper.

We renewed ours at the beginning of June. Renewal was a complete rip-off, none of the four on the policy had any accidents or claims but we negotiated a figure closer to our last year's premium.

I usually find that Comp with as big an excess as they allow is the lowest price, mine's currently £1000. So it's part way to Third Party cover anyway.

I also found that adding my other half as a driver reduced the premiums.

Computers are stupid.

Make sure you buy via a cashback website, you can usually get £40-ish back this way.

My current insurance was £120 minus £40 cashback so £80. Comp, £1000 excess, with windscreen cover and business use for me. Blooming amazing. It didn't include breakdown and they didn't offer it as an option, so I got that from Asda for about £20 minus a fiver cashback.

Only used breakdown twice since 2009.

Once when the clutch failed at 150-odd thou and again recently when Mrs S had a puncture and I couldn't get a cross threaded wheel nut off the stud to change the wheel.....

Grrrr......:mad:

But it has been very handy when we've needed it, so we still have it.

Always say you have access to another vehicle to drive - that reduces the premium. If they challenge you some time later, well you aren't on your mate's insurance now.

+1 to providing your DL number.

I had a FC policy on an old car, £250 or something with Direct Line, & inquired what that would be if I wanted to change the car to one worth £50k. Extra £30 they said. Mad. I queried it and they said it was because I'd already started the insurance - it was about 2 months in.
Online sites were quoting £1500. Eh?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back