Vehicle road tax

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a yearly road tax renewal for my 1300cc Euro 6 Bipper van.
£320!o_O
Seems a bit steep.....if I had kept my 1900cc Euro 4 Berlingo, it would have been just £180!
We are where we are, I guess.
John :)

Sponsored Links
My 27bhp scooter is £54 a year to tax. My 105hp car is £180. My150bhp petrol car is £30.

£20 for my diesel 2.1 litre, but wait until 2025 to see it go up.

Sponsored Links
£30 for my 2L diesel Audi A1 (Vag 2L CR engine). Currently running at around 190 BHP. ;) Golf with the same engine now £170. Go figure.

£325 PA for both mine .. 36yo Range Rover & 25yo BMW.

The BM does around 5k pa & the RR less than 1K.
The former is a daily driver & the latter will be replaced next year by a 40+ yo, so zero VED on that one at least.

On the news this morning I read that some county councils in the UK are calling for an increase in fuel duty to fund (wait for it) the repair of potholes.
So lets see if I've got this right .. motorists pay billions a year to use the roads & now you want more to pay for potholes, that are caused in the first place by the poor/non-existent maintenance of roads that we are already paying to use ... o_O

I thought that the electric cars are causing more pot holes as they are over 2 tons.

Andy

I thought that the electric cars are causing more pot holes as they are over 2 tons.

Andy
I'm certainly not a fan of EV's, but I think the suggestion that they causing excessive road damage is another example of anti-EV brigade propaganda, like the dangers of multi-story car parks collapsing :unsure:

I really can't see an extra two or three hundred kilos per EV making that much difference to either road surfaces or the multi-story's .. are 'they' really suggesting that if you filled such a structure with full-fat SUV's it would cause it to collapse?

'On average, an EV weighs 200-300kg more than a petrol car because of the weight of the battery and electric motors.'

'Electric vechicles are under increasing scrutiny from safety experts over the risks they pose in a crash, because of their incredible weight and power.
70c8fc80

EVs are far heavier than traditional gas-powered cars due to their large battery packs.

“The weight of these vehicles, and the weight of these battery packs in these vehicles, is quite significant,” said Raul Arbelaez of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Andy

It seems like a fixed rate for all vans, large or small.......
Bloody hell! :mad:
John :)
Actually, I believe it’s a flat rate for any vehicle registered after March 2017. As usual, robbin’ bastard Government, it was costing them a fortune because manufacturers lowered the emissions, so tax was obviously being lowered. So now it’s £180 whether it’s a cheapo 1.0l small vehicle or 3.2l vehicle, with the caveat of list price being £40k and above to include an additional £390 for the next 5 years! Unless you have zero emissions. Gov

Sponsored Links
Back