Vehicle road tax

FUHtUqlUUAAerlr.jpg_large.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
My current run about is a 2012 1.5dci Megane 0 road tax, does approx 50mpg on short journeys, 60+ longer runs. My old 2005 1.5dci Megane £125 road tax would do 60 on short journeys and 70+ on long runs, so obviously more fuel efficient therefore less poluting so why more tax.

The current VED regime is a bit of a mystery to me, to be honest. Way back, it was on engine size - under or over 1500cc. OK, something of a blunt instrument, but I think we could all see what was what.

Then it was based on CO2 emissions pr mile (which is what I think helped incentivise a lot of people towards diesel). Again, I could see the sense in that.

Then it went completely bananas and we ended up with the current scheme, where only the first year's tax is based on CO2 emissions,and after that you go on to a flat rate, almost regardless how much CO2 your vehicle emits, (unless it's electric). On top of that, you have a hefty extra chunk of tax to pay for the first 5 years only, if the list price was over £40k. As far as I can see, this seems to incentivise the use of older gas guzzlers above anything else, which seems utterly crazy!

And then from 2025, yes, EVs will get hit too, because, not content with incentivising over-5 year-old gas guzzlers, they want to deincentivise low CO2 emissons vehicles.:rolleyes:

Hopefully, we'll have a different government by then, though...

I thought that the electric cars are causing more pot holes as they are over 2 tons.

Andy

I've certainly heard it said! What I've never been able to work out though, is how the road knows that it's being driven over by a 2 ton EV or a 2 ton SUV... :rolleyes:

I'm certainly not a fan of EV's, but I think the suggestion that they causing excessive road damage is another example of anti-EV brigade propaganda, like the dangers of multi-story car parks collapsing :unsure:

I really can't see an extra two or three hundred kilos per EV making that much difference to either road surfaces or the multi-story's .. are 'they' really suggesting that if you filled such a structure with full-fat SUV's it would cause it to collapse?

Exactly. I think there are quite a few powerful vested interests, intend on "spinning" anti-EV propaganda - be it road damage, fires or safety, or lithium / rare earth mining, (etc), but as you quite rightly say, if it was really about road damage, they'd be targeting anything over a particular weight - be it an EV, a Tesco or Amazon delivery van, or an SUV.

And then from 2025, yes, EVs will get hit too, because, not content with incentivising over-5 year-old gas guzzlers, they want to deincentivise low CO2 emissons vehicles.:rolleyes:

Hopefully, we'll have a different government by then, though...
The results of the next general election should be interesting, though people have to realise that all this more to do with revenue than emissions.

Interesting blogs on the 'Tube showing interviews with Khan regarding the coming extended ULEZ .. bloke hasn't got a clue :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back