Velux between Dormer and House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - i intend to put a 55 x 98 velux in this space - the frame in pics is 55 x 118, but i think thats a bit long? (this means top is mid point of next course of tiles down).
Lead to Lead is 530 so I'll need to trim that back either side. My quandry is what to do with the tiles each side of the velux that are under the leadwork. Is it worth cutting them down....
I think I can just remove them entirely, what do people think?
I also anticipate having to trim the flashing kit at the bottom.
20230727_191518.jpg

2023-08-01_14-18-16.jpg

template slipped but showing for context
20230727_185859.jpg

Sponsored Links
Definitely get rid of the tiles, just use the bottom apron and the back gutter out of the tile flashing kit. Make your own side flashings out of lead to suit. Don't forget the bfx collar.

Hi all - i intend to put a 55 x 98 velux in this space - the frame in pics is 55 x 118, but i think thats a bit long? (this means top is mid point of next course of tiles down).
Lead to Lead is 530 so I'll need to trim that back either side. My quandry is what to do with the tiles each side of the velux that are under the leadwork. Is it worth cutting them down....
I think I can just remove them entirely, what do people think?
I also anticipate having to trim the flashing kit at the bottom.
View attachment 309777
View attachment 309776
template slipped but showing for contextView attachment 309778
Not a prayer, especially if the Velux interferes with the dormer trimmer beams. The difficulty trying to re-fit the uppermost tiles above the Velux, gives me the shivers. Bonkers idea.

Last edited:
Push the top tiles up as much as possible , slide up the back gutter before you fit the collar and window.

Trimmers, only you can see

Sponsored Links
The dormer gutter looks like it is going to drain above the proposed velux.

The dormer gutter looks like it is going to drain above the proposed velux.
It's possibly the worst location for a Velux I have seen. Not to mention the fact that light admittance will be limited.
The weight of the dormer is bearing down on the neighbouring rafters and he's asking to weaken the neighbouring ones?
Maintaining either side of the Velux (flashings, dormer sides etc) will be a nightmare.

Bonkers idea.

Last edited:
Flashings would be easy enough .
Agree there maybe structural issues .
Everything else is doable imo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back