Velux fun!

Sponsored Links
Yes, and good to see a proper plain-tile roof.

Are those valley tiles between the two roof slopes in the top pic, or is it a very narrow lead valley? (can't quite see).

You have a good roofer.

Are those valley tiles between the two roof slopes in the top pic, or is it a very narrow lead valley? (can't quite see).

You have a good roofer.
Low profile dry valley. The stuff of dreams. I got down on my knees and thanked the building gods when these bad boys came out.

As for the roofing - all in a days work. ;)

Those eagle eyed amongst you may just have noticed that the end of lead flashing still needs dressing down over the lean to roof above the valley (right next to that hanging exterior light). I'll do it once I've completed my jury service starting Monday! :evil:

Sponsored Links
Beautiful. We should have more work in progress threads. I'll see if I can get any pics off the lads.

Beautiful. We should have more work in progress threads. I'll see if I can get any pics off the lads.
I fitted the soffit, fascia and gutter, the last two days.

All black ash. Looks nice. I'll post more when the scaffold is down.

Cheers MW. ;)

Out of interest, what is your preference concerning the valleys.

A lot of the grp valleys I see end up filled with a lot of mortar from the tile edges which run parallel on either side of the valley. This is usually large format concrete tiles. Is that just poor valley installation?

Given the choice with plain tiles, what would you go for?

GRP dry valley every time and twice on Sundays.

No mortar, discreet and easier when it comes to tiling.

That looks nice.

I might sub out my lottery house building contract to you nose, while I'm away in Bermuda.

I'll let you know.

@noseall

Thanks for the reply.

What is the difference between your GRP dry valley and those I have described.

Specifically those where there is a large amount of bedding mortar on each side of the valley. This always seems to end up in and clogging the valley.

Example....

View media item 95533

@noseall

Thanks for the reply.

What is the difference between your GRP dry valley and those I have described.

Specifically those where there is a large amount of bedding mortar on each side of the valley. This always seems to end up in and clogging the valley.

Example....

View media item 95533
Dry valley = zero mortar. Indestructible too. Lead purists hate them.

Looks like a good alternative to a tiled valley.....which I think does look nice.
I assume cheaper/faster too.

Regarding the valley above for example. Is it normal to have such a thick layer of mortar?

Like I said, this always seems to crumble into the valley hence why I thought tiled was the way to go.

The mortar thickness is down to the fact that the valley needs to sit level with the rafters yet the tiles are lifted on 25 mm battens. The acute valley cut means that the raised part of the tile is exposed thus resulting in deep mortar bedding.
If you think those tiles are bad, you want to see what Marley Bold Roll mortar beds look like!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back