Velux Roof Windows - planning permission required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone can give us some advice on the best way forward.

Our flat roof on our ground floor rear extension was starting to leak (it was in excess of 18 years old so has done well). So we have just had it re-layed - but whilst they were doing the work we took the opportunity to have 3 velux roof windows put in (http://www.velux.co.uk/Products/Flat_roof_system/) to let additional light into the house.

When getting quotes for the work I enquired as to whether any kind of permissions would be required for it and all the companies stated that nothing was required. In hindsight it was a bit naive to take their word as now the velux windows are in I am starting to think permission is required given how they rise out of the flat roof.

So first question is does anybody know if these do require planning permission. Secondly, if they do require permission then is this something I can get retrospectively or am I likely to be made to take them out.

Advice on this matter much appreciated.

Dave

Sponsored Links
You would not need PP, unless possibly if you have a listed building or are in a conservation area.

If you carry out work which would have required permission, and if you are within the time limit when enforcement action is possible , and if the planners even notice, then you can apply for retrospective permission - or just ignore them if the chances of them wasting public money on an insignificant issue are nil.

Thanks for the reply. Have actually phoned the local council and everything seems fine re the veluxes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back