planning permissions for Roof

Sponsored Links
Don't normally need planning permission but building regulations instead. Depending on the height of the roof and your local BCO (Building control Office) give me them a ring which is free advice.

We are replacing our 13 year old flat roof over the house extension with a new "warm" roof, which will be about 5 inches higher than the existing one... and we may need planning permission for that as it is classed as an extension due to the fact that we are "increasing the volume of the house" :eek: :evil:

altering the visible outline or silhouette of a building can require a sanction from those odd bod's at the planning dept. best to make enquiries first.

Sponsored Links
racingmars, in my exp, if you are changing the height of the roof (in any way) the planning dept. are perfectly within their rights to demand planning permission.

I had to force my builder to slightly alter the pitch on our Edwardian conservatory because local planning spotted the detailed drawings they submitted showed the pitched roof 280mm higher than the approved plans; they insisted I would have to re-submit if I didn't change it!

In fact you always need planning permission to alter the external of a building - except planning for minor alterations is sometimes given as permitted development. PD for roofs depends on several factors including height of the roof, proximity to the boundary, overall volume and previous extensions etc.

So what might be allowed in one situation might not be elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back