Velux roof windows - polyurethane or painted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just a quick one.

We're considering a loft conversion and in order to get an idea of costs we need to agree on certain specifications.

Velux offer 3 internal finishes;
  • White painted (Standard)
  • White polyurethane
  • Pine finish
We know we don't want a pine finish so we're looking for more info on the polyurethane versus white painted. From what I can see the white painted is wood so will have some grain effect. The polyurethane will have better resistance to moisture but apparently has a wood core.

Are there other relevant characteristics that I shouldn't consider? What if I want to fit blinds at some point? Will one be easier than the other?

Grateful for advice if you've experienced these products.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
On a related note, are veluxes worth the premium? They seem to be the new Hoover but I have come across cheaper versions from brands such as Sunlux and Optilight.

Thing is I'm only likely to do one loft conversion. It would be a pain to have to replace windows and flashing because I went cheap and regretted it.

Anyone able to talk about the performance and value of the alternatives?

If wood is adequately primed and finished you shouldn't see the grain - think about old-fashioned skirting boards

Sponsored Links
Replaced a 15yr old Velux skylight yesterday it was rotting in the bottom corners.
There was a gap behind the plasterboard of around 30mm which was causing condensation, also there was not one fixing in the brackets!!!
PVC would have faired a lot better in this situation but it is down to the fitter as to how long your skylight will last.

I’ve got white painted ones, the finish is good. I’ve also got keylite ones... white painted again the finish is good. Had a a slight issue with the keylites, but that has gone... but think I’d choose velux over any of the other makes.

I've got 2 of the 1m sq ones that are polyurethane, I wouldn't dream of a timber one.

Andy

The polyurethane ones are just coated wood. I have 3 of the GGU SK06 integra tripple glazed. Nice windows and keep the heat in as I get ice patterns in the winter! They will also close when it rains so I dont have to worry about leaving them open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back