Velux roof windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My velux are 1140 mm and my overall roof length is 3900 is there any rule on positioning the velux?

Do I decide it equal or does it not matter?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
In a loft conversion you would want them as high as possible to make use of the space below and also as a safety measure.

My primary thoughts would be light admittance positioning and being low enough to use the opening bar. Pole operation is fairly standard in lofts, however.

There may be modesty issues but doubtful given the height. We did position one Velux so that it was overlooked by a higher up Velux once - in a bathroom too. Customer asked for it.

As Cat said, Ultimate positioning should be worked to roof covering. To avoid slithers and or additional pieces of lead. See instructions ..

positioning should be worked to roof covering. To avoid slithers.
Trimmer rafters are positioned long before tiles arrive on site. What you are saying is practically impossible especially when more than one Velux is involved.

Why would you position a valuable light source for the roofers convenience, and then put up with it in " the wrong place" for the rest of your life?

Woody its not a matter of convenience dear boy!
it is about fitting them to the manufacturers instructions! putting them where the builder or the customer wants them regardless of whether it will work would be foolish and invalidate any warranties.
Large format tiles are approximately 1 foot increments up the roof from the gutter so 1 foot 2 foot 3 foot 4 foot 5 foot and so on depending on overlap!
Slates are a bit more forgiving but still need consideration ie. which row you are going to fit the skylight on.

In your case maybe..
What, you think you can build a roof, trimmers and all and build it so that a series of Velux windows will work without having to cut a single slither?

BTW I build my own roofs and tile them in.

I agree with Cat to a point, in that the Velux (or Keylite) are positioned relative to the last bottom course of tiles immediately below the Window. In other words, you position the window X amout of millimeters up from the last batten or tile, depending on Velux or Keylite.

We cut the top and bottom trimmer but don't fix it until we have positioned the window. The 'flying' rafter/s can be temporarily supported from underneath until you are ready to fix the trimmers.

Velux are set (measured) up from the top edge of the last bottom tile and Keylite are measured up from the batten. Both sets of instructions are similar and foolproof.

Last edited:
If you can reach the opening bar Velux windows can be top hung, if the window head is too high to reach by hand the Velux should be centre pivot.

In a loft conversion you would want them as high as possible to make use of the space below and also as a safety measure.
:?: Depends :!: Cill only needs to be a certain height to avoid risk of falling. Head height should be within reach if top hung.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back