Veneer saw - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm researching the different types of hand saw and I want to know why you would use a veneer saw instead of a standard saw for cutting wood?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
You don't use a veneer saw for "cutting wood" as such you use it against a wooden straight edge for cutting veneers.
There are plenty of "how tos" online if you search.

The thinner the material, the finer and more numerous the teeth on the saw - together will only a slight kerf......as per the dovetail saw from times of yore.
As Dave says, veneer is knife cut.
Hell, we had to use scotch glue and then the job went into the veneer vacuum bag :p
John :)

I prefer just the Scotch. Without the glue. :D
Veneering's a bit of fiddly job. I never did much, and then only smallish flat work using a home made veneer press and Cascamite.

OT a bit, but did you ever come across tenon saws with rip teeth for cutting the along grain part of a tenon Burnerman? Never bothered myself, but I believe some people do (or did)

Sponsored Links
Nothing so dramatic as rip teeth on a tenon saw, Dave - although I do remember back saws having various numbers of teeth and different profiles.
(Woodwork / metalwork / tech drawing teacher trained, 1972 - 1975 :p )
John :)

I read about it somewhere, way back. I guess if you had a lot of biggish tenons to cut in the days when it was all hand work, then having rip teeth could help. I've always used an ancient fairly fine Disston I bought off a retired joiner years ago.

did you ever come across tenon saws with rip teeth for cutting the along grain part of a tenon
Rip teeth were certainly offered on dovetail saws a one time (I have on old one which came new with them), but I can't recall seeing tenon saws being offered with them.

I guess if you had a lot of biggish tenons to cut in the days when it was all hand work, then having rip teeth could help.
The old framers way used to be a large frame saw with fleam teeth (bidirectional cut) which were sometimes called "farmers saws". I remember seeing these used by oak framers as a teenager, but I haven't seen anybody use them since' German carpenters apparently still use them

did you ever come across tenon saws with rip teeth for cutting the along grain part of a tenon
Rip teeth were certainly offered on dovetail saws a one time (I have on old one which came new with them), but I can't recall seeing tenon saws being offered with them.

I guess if you had a lot of biggish tenons to cut in the days when it was all hand work, then having rip teeth could help.
The old framers way used to be a large frame saw with fleam teeth (bidirectional cut) which were sometimes called "farmers saws". I remember seeing these used by oak framers as a teenager, but I haven't seen anybody use them since' German carpenters apparently still use them

The dovetail saw is probably what I'm thinking of then. Interesting about the saw the framers used. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back