Vent Axia Extractor Fan not working - "twitching"

Sponsored Links
The following link makes for a good video explaining how to use a multimeter.

Note that I would not use the cheap low CAT meters he is showing to test mains (and he also says that).

I normally ensure it says CAT 3 or higher. (The Wickes meter you showed is CAT 3.)

So I finally got around to taking out the extractor fan (can't do during the week and my wife and I both work from home so can't be without power)

There was no obvious sign of burnout, but I went ahead and swapped out the capacitor mentioned in the previous link. It took a while due to my desoldering skills not being up to much - I had to use a safety pin to make the hole in the board big enough to put the capacitor through. On top of that a quick Google search to find out the polarity of the capacitor and had to assume the + on one side meant positive went through that hole.

I then put the fan back in and low and behold it worked! Surprised myself and my wife, but worked a treat.

It took me maybe 1-1.5 hours so definitely not a 5 minute job. Total saving of close to £100 - about £65 for a new fan and maybe £30 to fit so not bad for a Sunday's work.

I do have one question about using the multimeter. There are plenty of videos online about checking sockets, but what is the best approach for cables/fans etc? I tested between the cables by touching the small screws used to connect the cables (marked in red). And when the cables were disconnected I also tested by touching the cables but as they were hanging down, it was a bit tricky. Any advice for future reference?

Fan Wiring.jpg

Thanks again for everyone's help here.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back