Vent Axia Extractor Fan not working - "twitching"

Thanks for the detail.

However in my scenario whereby I just need to remove the fan safely, replace a capacitor and reinstall, wouldn't a voltage detector be sufficient? I just need to be able to work safely rather than diagnose a circuit fault.

Sponsored Links
No because if there is a small fault elsewhere on the circuit you have an induced voltage in the neutral. There is also the slim chance that the switch is wired through the neutral instead of the live. For the sake of a couple of quid it could save your life. NEVER take shortcuts or skimp on safety.
Regarding your fan 'twitching'. One other possibility is that it is a 'shaded pole' motor, which used to be very common in small fans. Sometimes the shaded pole, (a little ring of copper bar linside the core of the motor, for simplicity), develops a break or a crack in it. This will also cause the motor to 'twitch'. If you have the isolator on and the blades of the fan uncovered you can, if you feel confident, flick the fan in the direction it is trying to turn. If it does run then the only alternative is to replace it as it is outside the scope of a diy repair.

Can you suggest a good multimeter please? I'm not sure if the cheapest one on Screwfix is any good or not: https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ac-dc-digital-multimeter-600v/75337

If you have the isolator on and the blades of the fan uncovered you can, if you feel confident, flick the fan in the direction it is trying to turn. If it does run then the only alternative is to replace it as it is outside the scope of a diy repair.

So isolation switch turned on (so live) with the fan cover off and flick the fan blade in the right direction? I'm pretty sure I've done that and nothing happens.

Are you suggesting that if I do that and the fan continues running, then it's a bigger job and better to replace?

Thanks

No, those magic wands are unreliable. Bin it and get a proper 2 pole tester or a multimeter.
They are a useful tool in the armoury for fault finding if used correctly, in some cases they have an advantage over 2 pole testers

Sponsored Links
The cost of trying to repair a small fan can often be greater than the cost and time of simply replacing it.
These days if any of mine go wonky I simply replace them.

The cost of trying to repair a small fan can often be greater than the cost and time of simply replacing it.
These days if any of mine go wonky I simply replace them.
That is very environmentally unfriendly for the sake of a 25p capacitor and 10 minutes of your time.

No, it was an unreliable device that cannot be made reliable for 25p or any amount of money.
Not true I have been using them for 20+ years, with the correct knowledge & experience they are a good tool, maybe you do not understand the limitations.
Anyhow you should promote recycling

That is very environmentally unfriendly for the sake of a 25p capacitor and 10 minutes of your time.

Not if you put it in the recycle bin. Even putting it in the general waste it is likely to be separated at the transfer station after it goes through a crusher/shredder where, once the plastic bits have been broken, the motor section will be picked up on a magnetic belt to be disposed of with the rest of the metallic objects.

Not true I have been using them for 20+ years, with the correct knowledge & experience they are a good tool, maybe you do not understand the limitations.
Anyhow you should promote recycling
Most of the people buying them don’t have the correct knowledge and experience.

Most of the people buying them don’t have the correct knowledge and experience.
Including yourself, where do you get your figures? Just about every spark I know has one sticking out of his top pocket, are you saying they clueless?

Including yourself, where do you get your figures? Just about every spark I know has one sticking out of his top pocket, are you saying they clueless?
I suggest they are the ones with the correct knowledge and experience.

I am not included as I don’t own one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back