Vent dryer through tiled wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this is the right forum,

I need to vent a tumble dryer through a single thickness wall that has been tiled with 16" large tiles. I have a 107mm diamond core drill bit designed for going through walls and works well when I have used in the past with my makita sds (with clutch).

Im concerned about how to go through the tile though. Will the core drill bit be ok for this task? Is there a better tool for the job?
Am i at risk of cracking the tile? No spares available.

Should i consider a condensing dryer instead and forego the hole boring process entirely!

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Should be fine take it slowly let the bit do the work, just try to drill the pilot hole through the tiles without hammer if possible.
Extra care with large tiles as they often get fitted with dabs rather than a full bed so may not be fully supported.

Ive bought a 10mm carbide tip bit to make a clearance hole in the tile. The arbor for the core drill is 8/9mm and probably a masonry bit so figured id be best making a clearance gole to start with

Well im pleased to say that everything went to plan! Took ages and kept a spray bottle of water to hand to keep everything cool. Screwed some scrap wood to the outside to prevent any blow out.

Glad that job is done!

Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back