Vented / unvented cylinders, pros and cons

Woofter Botch!!! Now you are having a laff!! Have you any idea how loathed they are as a manufacturer??!! They steal installers service work you know & that's just for starters. I wouldn't like to say anymore on a public forum.

Loathed or not they appear to consider it necessary to include anti vac in their system. How many other manufacturers include anti vac ?. Maybe it is mandatory to provide an anti vac function in an unvented cylinder and it just isn't mentioned.

Sponsored Links
Try posting a link that works.

Face it Bernard. You've dig yourself yet another hole.

A cylinder rated to 8 bar or more is hardly going to develope a vacuum big enough to collapse it.

Anyway... How addressing all the other issues you are ignoring despite your protestations.

A cylinder rated to 8 bar or more is hardly going to develope a vacuum big enough to collapse it.

8 bar is the rating for positive pressure.

Positive pressure tries to expand the cylinder, the wall are being stretched, they will not therefor crumple.

Negative pressure tries to contract the cylinder, the walls need to shrink, they will bend inwards .

I do not know the negative pressure that will cause a cylinder to start to crumple inwards. I suspect for a copper cylinder it is far less than the positve pressure rating.

Sponsored Links
Have you compared deflection pressures of the two?

Takes a fair bit in a SS Unvented.

Without evidence of collapsing cyclinders, or plausible examples if what would cause it, I call it as a null argument.

However, on cylinders with internal air bubbles, having draw offs significantly below the cylinder can cause the air to be depleted by syphonage.

QUOTE from Solfex installation guide.

Anti Vacuum Valve
Important
- failure to follow the drain down procedure will invalidate the waranty.(see page 22)
NEVER
drain the cylinder of hot water and then close all cylinder inlets and outlets.
REASON
as the air remaining in the cylinder cools the pressure inside the cylinder will fall below atmospheric and cause the cylinder to implode.
NEVER
close the cold main and drain the cylinder via any tap connected to it.
REASON
as the water drains, the pressure inside the cylinder may decrease below atmospheric and this will cause the cylinder to implode.

To stop the possibility of this occurring by accident an ANTI VACUUM VALVE should be fitted in the hot water take off pipe.

This will balance the cylinder’s internal and atmospheric pressures and eliminate this risk.

Available from Gledhill part number GT056

End Quote

by e-mail from an owner of a Solfex cylinder.

Is the fitting of an anti vac valve a requirement of BS12897 or just a manufacturer's application of science and common sense

Which is your whole reason for disliking them.
The amount of safety equipment necessary and the need to ensure that safety equipment will operate when necessary is a big dis-advantage when compared to the inherently safe vented system.

It also implies the anti Vac valves are not fitted as standard
Is the fitting of an anti vac valve a requirement of BS12897
But if the manufacturer of a stainless steel ( the more robust ) cylinder make a point of recommending them ?

Do you have a copy of BS EN 12897, does it refer to the fitting of anti vac valves ?

I don't as it happens. But if it was required it would be sold with the cylinder as with all the other safety devices REQUIRED.

If it was a requirement, it would have been made more prominent in all the other manufacturers literature.

Certainly was not brought up in any of the exams or training I have attended in the 15 years I have been G3 certified .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back