Vented wastes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom currently feeds into an internal, unvented stack. We've been noticing lately that we're getting a waste odour and I assume that when the toilet, shower or bath discharges waste water it's pulling the water from the other traps?

I hear gurgling from the traps when using the bathroom and the smell is getting stronger. The shower and bath also take ages to clear.

I'm going to replace my basin with a double sink, i thought that i would use the chance to replace the traps for a anti-syphon ones.

Would this help matters and would it be beneficial to fit anti-syphon to both sink traps or would one be sufficient?

We're planning on replacing the bathroom next year so if there's a more substantial fix I can do it then. Would replacing all the traps for anti-syphon help as I can't access the stack.

Regards.

Jack

Sponsored Links
Possibly ..... If the waste run is clogging up then when draining the water is filling the pipe creating a vacuum behind it. That then pulls the water seal out of the other traps. Using anti Vac traps should help with that but it doesn't sort the main issue which is cleaning the waste run.

Use some detergent and boiling water down the traps and see if that helps too.

Could well have a blockage down the line somewhere, if the stack is terminated with an AIr Admittance Valve, this effectively seals any positive pressure in the pipework.

If the system is blocked, it is effectively sealed at both ends, so when an appliance discharges, the water going into the stack/drain needs to displace the equivalent volume of air, which looks for the easiest exit. Usually a waste trap, depending on setup.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. I've double checked and can't see any blockages in the waste pipe.
I'm going to start with replacing wastes for anti-syphon.
I am able to access the 1½ waste pipe connecting the bathroom suite. So, im wondering if I can connect an inline air admittance valve along the run?
This runs externally to the bathroom so is easily accessed.
If so, is it best to fit it between the last waste and stack?

I have two basins and a bath draining into a 40mm waste. Lots of siphoning. I didn't do it! Replacing the first waste in the line with an AAV trap solved the issue for me .

This was a direct replacement for the existing and took 2 minutes to fit.

I have two basins and a bath draining into a 40mm waste. Lots of siphoning. I didn't do it! Replacing the first waste in the line with an AAV trap solved the issue for me .

This was a direct replacement for the existing and took 2 minutes to fit.
Cheers, as in the first waste from the stack?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back