ventilation 'bricks' ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have in my living room outside wall at skirting board level a 'ventilation' brick which consists of a 3 or 4" diameter hole through the wall with a flyscreen cover on the outside and inside. This causes draughts in cold/windy weather. I have concrete floors and a living flame fire in the room. Can i remove it and patch it up, it doesn't seem to serve any purpose apart from making my feet cold!

Sponsored Links
I think you will find its a legal requirement with a gas fire

I know other people obviously with gas fires and they don't have any sort of ventilation in their walls. My next door neighbour has nothing in her front room wall for ventilation. Is it purely for air replacement?

Sponsored Links
But surely all gas fires whatever make/model emit gases etc and need air replacement if that's the case.

no they dont as i said it depends on a lot of things mostly the people who make them

what make / model of fire

what type of fire :?:

some need vents some dont

also depends on the heat input

Ok, that's fair enough. I'm replacing the fire shortly and redecorating and just wandered when I decorate if I can block the 'vent' up. When i get a new fire will that specify whether i need ventilation or not?

I wouldnt block it up without seeking further advice. Corgi may want to make it into a five inch hole :mad: ( This is what a corgi bloke told me).
I'm only a decorator. House I'm working on has a new fire with flue pipe and air inlet on chimmney terminal (or somthin like that) so no need for hole in wall.
I'm posting this as I know of two local tragedies where hole was blocked and in depths of winter these folks didn't wake up.

Has neighbour got a balanced flue type fire on outside wall ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back