Ventilation problem help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this looks like another question I put on this site but it is different and I would appreciate any help.

My sister has just got a studio flat and hasn't got much money so she wants me to move her toilet for her and a couple of other things to give her more room in her really tiny kitchen. She wants me to move a stud wall as well. The problem I now have is ventilation. I have been advised to put an extract in the bathroom but once the new wall is built there will be no outside wall so I will probably have to route some pipework to get it to go outside probably over the kitchen units, and into the top glass pane of her very small window.

She will end up with two of these very narrow windows in the kitchen once converted, with a top opening window ( they are those typical metal windows you see in 1950's flats I think). She is 6 floors up so I don't really want to drill the walls, so I was thinking of making one window fixed so it cant open and running the bathroom extract to that and having the glass cut to take it.

But what about the kitchen does that have to have one?

If I did run one for the kitchen it would be awkward where to route it to. It would be tempting to route it to the same window pane but then two holes in one glass would probably not be that good and I would probably be better fitting a panel that would be stronger to take the two which might only just fit. But then you would have toilet extract and kitchen extract, adjacent, doesn't that go against any regulations?

If it did and there was a minimum distance that may be a problem because we are talking a very small place here.

Can anybody help me with the regs on this and what they think I should do please?

Sponsored Links
First check the lease, as significant alterations like this to the waste and external elements may require premission.

There is no problem in siting the outlets, but check to ensure that the ducting route is not too long or has too many bends so as to make the fan inefficient

Also, six floors up may require a special outlet cover or particular fan or design of the duct to counter wind pressure and unwanted noise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back