Venting gas meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our gas is supplied by a low pressure regulator as we are on a farm quite a way from the mains.

The meter is in a surface mounted box outside. It is a U6 type.

A few times when I have walked past it I have smelt gas. I have checked and it is coming from a clear, flexible, plastic tube which seems to vent a small amount of gas every few minutes.

Is this normal?:eek:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
phone SGN on 0800111999 to have a look at it. they usually adjust it so it doesnt vent anymore.

Yes, I have one in the garden.

But do ask Transco if you're concern

sounds like your gas meter is connected to a medium pressure supply.

The clear plastic tube you mention is the safety escape pipe for over pressure.

Get your gas transporter in asap. That means NOW :eek:

Sponsored Links
sounds like your gas meter is connected to a medium pressure supply.

The clear plastic tube you mention is the safety escape pipe for over pressure.

Get your gas transporter in asap. That means NOW :eek:

Educate me gas4you, Mine is on a low pressure and I have a box in the ground with an vent pipe going oft towards me Christmas tree

DIA do you have 2 main taps on yours

3 actually :rolleyes: theres a box in the ground which I understand is a condensate thingy with an vent pipe oft the top.

Pipe then goes to the meter anging on wall :rolleyes:

You sure its not a medium pressure set up

I think its medium now because they renewed the mains pipe, but it was low when they stuck it in my garden.

Pssssssssssssssst as far as I know I'm the only thats got one. :rolleyes:

Want me to take a pic in the morning :cool:

Educate me gas4you, Mine is on a low pressure and I have a box in the ground with an vent pipe going oft towards me Christmas tree

So far I've never seen a low pressure meter with this fitted :confused:

Medium pressure can be fed by up to 2Bar gas pressure and is very similar to LPG in testing etc.

There are so few around my area that I have to refer to my manual each time to tightness test these.

I think ours is up to 75mb now but it was lower at one time because they turned it down because of the state of the pipe in the road.

There you go namsag :rolleyes:

Gasthingy.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back