Venting Kitchen Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a small kitchen where there is an existing extractor fan, but the air is pumped back into the room rather than being taken outside. I want ducting attached to it and a hole made in the exterior wall so the air can be taken outside.

How dirty does the ducting get inside / how often do they need to be cleaned? I could route the duct through the ceiling cavity or just attach it around the wall to the exterior wall / vent hole. If I opt for the wall then it might be easier to clean / replace but routing through the ceiling would probably mean it looks nicer..

Also, should I have a one way flap on the outside ? There are two central heating out vents near the place I want to vent out to outside, so I really don't want any air blowing in ; I often smell gas near these outlets. However, I have heard these one way flaps can make a noise when they open/close which might be annoying.

Finally, it would be nice if air could exit out of this vent passively, i.e without the extractor fan being switched on so the air in the kitchen is periodically being replaced - is this likely ?

Sponsored Links
Dust and dirt build up is not an issue in this situation, I find.....the air is filtered before being expelled to the outside, after all.
You should have a flap on the outside - a louvre one is fine. Without this, air can blow back in, through the extractor filter which can give an unpleasant pong.
Its unlikely that louvre vents flapping would be any cause for discomfort.
There will be minimal air exchange without the extractor being switched on.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back