Venting Requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First post, but have been reading it for years to pick up tips! I have a very simple question, but I have no knowledge in this area. Your advice is appreciated.

There is a manhole at the back of the property. Within a 1.5m of it, you have two rain water pipes, a toilet and bath waste going directly in to the manhole.

Do you need any sort of vent pipe on this set up, or will the open drain, and rain pipes suffice?

It's just that I want to replace the 4" asbestos cement rain pipe with a smaller pipe. I'm guessing the large pipe is just from an older rain water system, but wanted to make sure that it wasn't that size for venting reasons.

Sponsored Links
Shocking :eek:

The blue pipe is your vent pipe and should extend past your soffit. The running outlet from the gutter should not be run to drain unless you live in an area with a combined foul & rainwater sewerage system. Ask your neighbours not the water board as they will make you correct it, if required.

Best advice is contact a local plumber.

Cheers

Thanks for your response.

Just to clarify, the toilet runs directly into the man hole via a pipe in the concrete floor.

I have the 1972 plans for the extension and it actually shows the sewage going to a septic tank and the rain water going to a soak away. A letter in 1976 suggest the property was to be connected to the mains sewerage.

It all seems to be going into the man hole now. I will need to do further investigation.

The reason the vent pipe doesn't go past the soffit is..................it probably fell off.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Asbestos soil stack??? i didnt no it was ever made, boiler flues due to the high temperatures, soil stacks, i think not, its a cast iron stack, and will cost you a hell of a lot less to expose of than a asbestos one would

Yes, asbestos stacks were made, also gutters, downpipes and hoppers amongst other items. That could well be asbestos looking at the profile of the collars. Note the use of steel clips, whereas CI has the lugs attached to the collars, formed as the pipe is cast.

:oops: well its not the 1st time ive been wrong

i did think that about the collars, just never come across it before :oops:

bit stupid, why use something resistent to extremely high temps, for soil?

Also looks like its rusting, beneath the paint, asbestos wouldnt do that, would it?

That IS an asbestos/cement pipe . OMG it`s BLUE :eek: Must be blue asbestos - clear the street . call in the asbestos police :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Bonded asbestos was used for a variety of things, corrugated roofing sheets, flat panels for garages, even water mains. I think it was the material of choice at the time, probably due to cost. Whole estate near me built in the 60's had asbestos soil, gutters and downpipes, although the majority have replaced the gutters, the soil pipes and hoppers for bath/basin wastes are still the originals.

While asbestos has good heat resistance, in this form I dont think it copes very well with extreme temperatures. I recall a car catching fire whilst parked in an asbestos cement garage. Due to the intensity of the fire, the garage basically disintegrated coating the surrounding area with ash. The council got involved and the cleanup cost a fortune. The entire area, flower beds, lawns, the lot, had to be vacuumed to remove every last trace of the debris..... Bonded asbestos now seems to be on a par with radioactive waste when it comes to disposal. :!:

To the OP, if you want rid of the asbestos pipe, do so, but take sensible precautions when dealing with it. You'll need to retain a vent for the drains, mimimum 82mm pipe to extend above eaves height. Fit a new rainwater downpipe down to the gulley, if the water has been going in there since 1976 I wouldnt worry about it now......

Thanks for your posts.

Yes, it's asbestos cement pipe. I've no issue removing it, I'm not about to sand it and down and repaint it!. The wall clips also look a very similar material to the pipe (would that be right?).

I may leave the bottom bend of the pipe or take it out, depending on how firm it is in the concrete.

The council do free asbestos collection, but I already have a few sheets and numerous bags of artex. I think I may be pushing my luck trying to off load these pipes too.

Again thanks for clearing up the issues with the vent. The rain water system is all over the place, water butts, a soak away and mains sewage.

I'll put in a plastic pipe for the vent and a new down pipe for the guttering. This will probably go into a a large capacity water tank, overflowing into the sewerage system for now. I'll consider a new soak away when I build a patio.

On a side note, that can of blue paint went a long way. We have blue skirting boards, blue fascias, blue window frames. The bathroom suite was even a matching blue. Needless to say, 4 skips have already made the house less blue. Just moving my attention to the exterior now before the nights close in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back