Vents allowed to be Covered?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My garden was a mess so I have hired a gardener to replace it with concrete slabs matching the ones I already have in the Garden. Today he started by removing all the grass and tomorrow he will begin the paving. There are some vents that he said he will be covering due the difference in height between the path to the back door and the garden.

Should these vents be covered? What other alternatives do I have as I am not sure what he is planning to do is right. I have drawn an imaginary line on the pictures below showing where the paving will go and how the vents will be covered.

Sponsored Links
Suspended timber floor?
Don't under any circumstances cover the air vents.....rotting timbers will result over time.
John :)

Sponsored Links
No!

Don't cover any vents or the bottom of that drainage pipe. The vents are there for a reason and you may wish to access the bottom of the pipe in future.

I'd actually lower the existing slabs as well. You want to the whole lot to be just up to the bottom of those vents I'd have thought. You also want it sloping away from them slightly for obvious reasons.

are you going to live in there or are you going to grow mushrooms :eek:

I thought as much, do you suggest I pay him for the work done and then ask him to leave the rest? 5 neighbours have used him and they have had the vents covered.

I have £400 to spend and decking does seem like a good idea. I can’t lower the existing path. Any idea of how much decking would cost and would that mean the vents would then be safe?

The neighbours were all happy to have the vents covered. We have all purchased houses from a company that has gone in to administration. We do not get enough sunlight in the back gardens due to the sheds we have causing the grass not to grow and the gardens were awful.

NHBC would not help so we were all left with gardens which sloped down beside the the pathway and sloped down towards the vents.

first check the soil is below your damp corse, it its above then you will have big problems

"The neighbours were all happy to have the vents covered"

then your neighbours are not very bright then are they, at least you have asked

If the damp proof course is missing, or has otherwise failed, properties may exhibit signs of rising damp. Rising damp typically occurs if the built-in damp proof course is missing, is breached, for example by raising of ground levels, or is damaged, for example by a structural alteration.

In such cases rising damp may occur. The dampness may affect vulnerable materials or finishes that are in contact with the wall. Rising damp has potential to rot timber joists, skirting boards or the bottom of door frames or to cause wall plaster to flake and wall coverings to deteriorate or become stained.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back