Veritas Alarm not setting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Veritas 8 (maybe 8+) installed around 12 years ago (before we bought the house).

A couple of weeks ago it would not set - Wife could not get the keypad to do anything. When I got in lifted the cover on the keypad (sounders went off) and eventually by pressing reset it started working again. Since then it has done it a couple more times and pressing the rest and the code a couple of times gets it going again.

Last night it would not set - it beeps when the keys on the left of the panel are pressed.

I have had one sensor off to decorate but that was after the first incident.

Doesn't normally behave like this when it needs a battery.

Any suggestions to fix it.

Sponsored Links
Ever replaced the panel battery, you should be on your 3rd at least by now, should be replaced every 5yrs max.

A battery can cause a multitude of strange and random faults when this old, 12yrs?

You need a new battery, Yuasa NP7-12 12V, 7Ah, Screwfix is a good place to go, they will know what you are talking about.

Don't go to Maplin unless you have money to burn.

It's always good practice to replace the rechargeable battery in the panel every 3-4 years, it may or may not cure your problem but a faulty battery can cause a wide range of symptoms.

Either way, if it hasn't been changed for some time, it won't do any harm and you know that your system has a healthy power supply.

Could be one of the keys on the keypad sticking or the membrane under the keys that's knackered,the veritas keypads are not normally troublesome ...

Sponsored Links
I have changed the battery 2 0r 3 times since we moved in, will get one on the way home tonight

New battery fitted last night, CEF don't carry Yuasa anymore but got it for just under £20. The one fitted is showing very slight bulging to some of the cells and has been in 4-5 years, didn't write the installation date on it last time but wife says it is before she started her current job.

Managed to get the panel to respond when I got in by entering the code several times , changed the battery and wiped the switches behind the keypad.

Seems to be working now but only time will tell, it has gone days between sessions of not responding over the last week or so. If it does it again I will change the keypad.

you can get kits to replace the buttons and the membrane DCA-0015 under £7 on ebay.

sounds more like keypad issue to me from what you describe.

I had an issue on one of these in my uncles house 1 row of keys wasn't working, I took the ribbon out of the keypad blew in it and put it back in, this was two years ago and it's been right as rain since. Which reminds me it's time to change his battery

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back