Veritas Excel fault - replace magnetic door contact? (how?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I have a Veritas Excel alarm with 1 front door contact (Zone 1) and 5 PIRs (Zones 2 -6).

I set the alarm (with the front door closed) before walking past the corridor PIR (Zone 2), opening the front door, walking out of the house and then closing and locking the door.
All’s fine.
However, when I open the front door, there’s no chirping/entry beeps (i.e. it’s as though the magnetic contact is not working or breaking the circuit) and when I enter the house I’m detected by the corridor PIR which in turn sets off the alarm (I know it’s the corridor PIR which detects me as ‘Zone 2’ shows up on the keypad).

Am I correct in assuming it’s a problem with the magnetic door contact (which is maybe stuck in the ‘closed circuit’ position?). Can I just replace the magnetic contact with one of these (http://www.screwfix.com/p/tate-door-window-wired-magnetic-surface-contact/65547?kpid=65547&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CP6A6PH45L0CFczItAodxCYARw)? I originally installed the alarm (somehow!) two or more years ago and therefore know how everything is wired up – I’m just not an expert on alarm systems!

I haven’t yet tried ‘a walk test’ – will this tell me if Zone 1 (the door contact is at fault?). Should I do this before anything else?

Finally, if the magnetic contact is at fault how can I replace it without setting off the alarm (i.e. because of the tamper wires etc)…can I somehow put the alarm in ‘engineer’s mode’ (I know the code) and then replace the contacts? (Probably a really stupid question but…Do I have to turn the power off to the alarm? Both mains and battery?)

Apologies for all the questions and thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Just found this post with the same issue (//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1007935#1007935)...think I'll be hitting the contact with a screwdriver!

However, it really seems as though
1. I need to do a walk test to ensure it's the contact and
2. replace the contact .....any step-by-step guide on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering 'how' to replace it i.e. do I have to power down (mains and/or battery)? do I have to enter the engineer's code? if so, when? etc etc

Literally, a step-by-step guide on 'replacing the magnetic contact' would be very useful.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends on contact it may or may not have resistors depends on how it was installed,take old on off and post picture of back of contact ...with wires attached.. If it's standard 4 wire non graded contact there should be two wires twisted together around a screw ( tamper pair ) and two single wires around two screws alarm pair ...

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I remember that it is indeed a 4 wire assembly (+-ve, -ve and tamper pair)....I'm just not sure on the sequence of events in order to remove it properly.

I stand corrected. You're absolutely right.

So, any idea on the sequence of events to remove/replace it properly?

If it's the type with the tamper pair twisted together as long as you don't break the pair just remove wires and fit new contact if you do just enter code to stop internal alarm swop over contact then reset alarm...

OK. Thanks a lot for that.

Looks like I'm going to remove the contact and try to unscrew the wires (without breaking the tamper contact) and if I do break the contact and activate the alarm, I'll just enter the code and reset it! (hopefully!)

(By the way, the alarm seems to be working fine tonight!)

Having said that, I'll still try replacing the contact at one point this bank holiday weekend.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back