Vertical column radiators input and output direction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, quick question, I am thinking of buying vertical column radiators, and it seems some require input on the left and output on the right, whereas some others it shows you can plumb them in almost any possible way (input at the bottom left or right or at the top left or right ). They all also seem to have a "block" at the bottom (I presume to force the flow to travel across the whole height of the radiator) and in some models the block is right in the middle, but on other models the block is closer to the flow.

Sponsored Links
I am thinking of buying vertical column radiators
If it's to be used to actually heat an reasonably sized space then you maybe want to forget them. Terrible things at heating spaces efficiently, the only thing they do sometime is look ok.

Some use baffles - the block you mention to direct the flow - others don't seem to need them. It's simply follow the MI as there doesn't seem to be any standards but they are a little counter intuitive to the way they actually heat up.

Thanks for the quick reply. Since I posted my message I checked the links below and now I see quite a few issues with flow in these radiators and heat reaching the top. So it seems we definitely want one that has the block fitted already, and we should also obey the indicated direction of flow/return.

If you get a double rather than a single, you can usually hang them so that the inlet and outlet matches up with your flow and return pipes.

Sponsored Links
yep far better with a double for the reason dilalio gives also they look better . I would go for the oval column one as opposed to flat panel easier to get the air out . And a properly sized one like any properly sized rad will heat the room never had a problem in that respect . I have them in 5 rooms and they all get up to temp

If you get a double rather than a single, you can usually hang them so that the inlet and outlet matches up with your flow and return pipes.
Sorry I do not understand this. All vertical rads I have looked at have "input" at bottom right and "output" at bottom left. One only has interchangeable input and output, both at bottom and top. So if my flow pipe happens to be on the left I will not be able to use most of these vertical radiators, unless I route the pipes around. Am I getting this wrong?

Sorry I do not understand this. All vertical rads I have looked at have "input" at bottom right and "output" at bottom left. One only has interchangeable input and output, both at bottom and top. So if my flow pipe happens to be on the left I will not be able to use most of these vertical radiators, unless I route the pipes around. Am I getting this wrong?
Yes you will be turning a double round back to front input then becomes on the left

Ahh, I did not think you could ever do that, mounting brackets, welds, paintwork etc Thanks!

Ahh, I did not think you could ever do that, mounting brackets, welds, paintwork etc Thanks!

As I said...

Most (if not all) vertical rads come with a horizontal rail that sits on the hooked wall brackets, when it's hung on the wall.
With a "double" rad, this is in the middle of the rad (on the z axis) and the vertical bars are in front and behind of it.

This means you can hang it with inlet on left or right by flipping it.

If you buy a designer rad that has welded mounting points, then no, you cannot flip it.

I will make sure I ask then if they have a "back" and a "front" before I buy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back