Vertical crack in brick work between upstairs and downstairs windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've notice a crack between the upstairs and downstairs window on my house.

I've checked externally all round the house and no other cracks are visible.

No signs of cracking internally.

I've monitored this for 6 months and it hasn't got any bigger or wider.

The house is 4/5years old and does have a 10 year warranty. Not sure if they would say its significant enough to be covered?

Is this something i should be concerned about? If so what is the solution

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Crack.png
    Crack.png
    616.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Crack.png
    Crack.png
    616.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Crack. (2).png
    Crack. (2).png
    611.3 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes, all the signs that it's a thermal crack. Normally, these are once only and don't get any worse, and is not a structural issue.

The standard advice is to fill as stuart says, but I'm not sure its worth it, or that freezing does actually have any impact. I recall writing a big list of reasons why thought the standard advice was pointless, but the main reason is that you end up with a horrible line of different mortar, different bricks, and if you are unlucky different bricks smudged with different mortar. Even a silicone mastic on the face won't stop water getting in around it.

You could put the NHBC on notice by just reporting and recording it with them. And get it reassessed when the warranty is about to end.

Any repair really needs to be carefully and skilfully done, and I don't think its worth it for such a hairline crack.

I've heard another theory about not pointing in cracks in mortar, because the brickwork can't return back and just opens up more, so maybe leaving it is the best advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back