Very basic radiator question

Sponsored Links
Anything wrong with the old ones?
If not you will need to remove the tails out the old rads and fit in the new depending on old ones.

I'm buying some radiators to replace old ones that have pinprick holes.
Before rushing out and spending your hard earned money, you need to make sure the rads are the correct size. The existing ones may not be due to changes in the house.

1. Has the boiler been replaced since the existing rads were installed?

2. Which boiler do you now have - make, model & kW output?

3. Has the insulation (walls, loft, windows etc) been improved since the existing rads were installed?

4. Do you know the current heating requirement of your house (not the same as boiler size)? If not use the Whole House Boiler Size Calculator

How can I tell which valves I need to buy? Looking for thermostatic controls - can I reuse old ones or do I need to buy new?
Depends on age and condition of existing TRVs - and brand. The same goes for the lockshield valves, though they are much cheaper to replace and should be if there is any sign of them leaking.

We've calculated the sizes of all the radiators & the plumber who's installing them reckons all sizes currently correct. We have 2 boilers, fairly new, which supply all of these. We've had new loft insulation fitted but that's all. Need to get them replaced fairly quickly as currently can't use heating & it's getting cold so happy with the sizings, just need to check we'll get the right valves then the plumber will reuse whatever he can & we'll return the others.

Just chatted to him & I think these are the best option: http://www.screwfix.com/p/15mm-angled-trv-with-lockshield-white-chrome/31811

If anyone has any other ideas, do let me know! (Or a Screwfix discount code!)

Sponsored Links
They are less than £6 for a pair of valves just buy them i would use danfoss rasc2 valves, they are more expensive but worth it, if the rads have pin holed probably best to investigate that or new ones may do it aswell usually much quicker than old ones, could be a case of a dirty system or pumping over?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back