VERY concerned about Asbestolux

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My father in law is in the middle of converting out garage into another room, he's a builder with 50y experience. My house was constructed in 79/80 and I've no real idea of most of the construction materials used.

He was talking today about where he cut into the ceiling to expand the loft access into the gable roof and said he cut through the 'Asbestolux' a few days ago. I am now extremely concerned. I questioned him about this and he said what he meant was 'concrete base board' but I'm not convinced. He also said he's been cutting through this type of stuff for years.

I wasn't present when he did the cutting, but I have helped move some of the items out of the (almost empty) garage since. They were dusty but he's also been cutting concrete nearby as well.

I am now incredibly worried that I, or my wife and children, have been exposed to something that is going to give us all cancer. I suppose one saving grace is that whilst he's doing this work the main garage door is open most of the way, however he did sweep up dust today which is near some open windows.

I know my house was built around the time when new materials were coming in so I've included some very poor quality photos of the roof to get people's opinions.

In summary, I'm equally scared and incredibly p*ssed off and angry about the whole thing. Any advice is appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20190630_171954_8.jpg
    IMG_20190630_171954_8.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_20190630_172016_7.jpg
    IMG_20190630_172016_7.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 1,233
  • IMG_20190630_172033_9.jpg
    IMG_20190630_172033_9.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_20190630_172058_4.jpg
    IMG_20190630_172058_4.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_20190630_172115_7.jpg
    IMG_20190630_172115_7.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_20190630_172129_7.jpg
    IMG_20190630_172129_7.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 576
Sponsored Links
Probably should have said as well, we're in the UK.

That looks like a soft fibre board from what I can see in those blurred photos. Asbestos would be hard and rigid in that form, but the edge joints look as if they are drooping. If you are in doubt, wear a tight fitting mask, scrape a sample into a plastic bag from an edge and find an asbestos lab to analyse it. An internet search will find the phone number for your nearest lab.

As the house was constructed 20 years before the ban on asbestos products, it has to be presumed that the board does contain asbestos.

However, Harry B is correct in that the sag in the board may indicative of a replacement non-asbestos product, but also it may be a sign of the more hazardous AIB product - the actual "Asbestolux" referred to by you FIL, which is a brand name but colloquially used for any asbestos board.

AIB is hazardous when cut, so I would not let the FIL loose with a saw or anything else until you have had it tested. Shut and seal any house door and get some fans blowing outwards continuously with the garage door open, wet down any dust from the cutting with a mist sprayer, sweep it up and bag it and bin it, and paint the cut edges with gloss paint for now. Wear a suitable face mask and disposable overalls if there is a lot of cutting dust about.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

My father in law is in the middle of converting out garage into another room, he's a builder with 50y experience. My house was constructed in 79/80 and I've no real idea of most of the construction materials used.

He was talking today about where he cut into the ceiling to expand the loft access into the gable roof and said he cut through the 'Asbestolux' a few days ago. I am now extremely concerned. I questioned him about this and he said what he meant was 'concrete base board' but I'm not convinced. He also said he's been cutting through this type of stuff for years.

I wasn't present when he did the cutting, but I have helped move some of the items out of the (almost empty) garage since. They were dusty but he's also been cutting concrete nearby as well.

I am now incredibly worried that I, or my wife and children, have been exposed to something that is going to give us all cancer. I suppose one saving grace is that whilst he's doing this work the main garage door is open most of the way, however he did sweep up dust today which is near some open windows.

I know my house was built around the time when new materials were coming in so I've included some very poor quality photos of the roof to get people's opinions.

In summary, I'm equally scared and incredibly p*ssed off and angry about the whole thing. Any advice is appreciated

To allay some of your fears, even if the board he's cut is asbestos, its highly unlikely that a one off exposure is going to give you cancer. Exposure to asbestos is a bit like smoking. One cigarette on its own could trigger cancer but its highly unlikely. Its the cumulative effect of repeated exposure over a number of years that does the damage and you breathe in naturally occurring asbestos fibers every day anyway. I'm not suggesting that Asbestos exposure isn't dangerous, but nor it like coming into contact with Novichok.

As others have said, if you're worried you can get it tested. Either way, doing what Woody has suggested isn't going to do any harm.

Certainly looks like aib rather than the harder cement board. Get it tested then go from there. Problem is the cost of removal is a lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back