very dodgy stoptap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
id like to share a problem i had today, and get some advice.

I was helping my sister put in a shower in her new house. we couldnt find the internal stoptap so loked outside for one. We found one that looked in good condition and was clearly marked as belonging to her house. It was only a foot below the surface and very tidy looking so i was able to reach it with my hand. I assumed that id have to turn it clockwise but it wouldt budge in that direction so i turned it approx one full turn in the opposite direction. this had no effect on the flow. I gave it one more full turn, upon which it came out in my hand. Naturally this resulted in water going everywhere.....eventually I managed to get the tap back in by screwing it in anti clockwise......and am now sat here very confused by it all. I really thought that if i turned it the wrong way then, like a standard stop tap, it would just stop turning....after id put it back in i was only able to manage the two complete turns before again meeting strong resistance.....so im back at square one..just a lot wetter and very very scared of stop cocks.....

Can anyone shed some light as to what happened...I have plans to alter the location of my own internal stop tap, but am terrified that the stopcock outside will do the same....what is the norm? has anyone else ever completely unscrewed one before?

Please dont just tell me to get a plumber, i'll prob do that anyway, but would like an insight as to how on earth i ended up so wet today!!!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
To be honest, you are not allowed to touch the water mains tap outside of your property, that is down to your water provider & down to them to isolate your supply not you.

yes you are allowed.

they will tell you to turn it off if you have a problem with your rising main indoors and the external stopcock is the only way to isolate it.
also they will only attend if stockcock faulty or full with clay etc.

Call the water company. It is their stop tap and they are responsible for it. All pipework from there to your property is your own concern...

Sponsored Links
VirginPlumber said:
Can anyone shed some light as to what happened.
The spindle is seized, and you inadvertently unscrewed the valve from the body.

I have plans to alter the location of my own internal stop tap, but am terrified that the stopcock outside will do the same....what is the norm?
There is no norm - you could be lucky or unlucky.

has anyone else ever completely unscrewed one before?
All plumbers learn not to attempt to open an already open service valve, and often learn it the hard way, like you did. You won't do it again. :)

Please dont just tell me to get a plumber, i'll prob do that anyway, but would like an insight as to how on earth i ended up so wet today!!!
If you close a service valve, then count the turns you make, so that when you open it you turn it the same amount. You also need to 'feel' how it's turning, and keep a downward force on it, just in case.

If you want to look at philosophically, be grateful that if came away in your hand instead of riding a fountain of water and smacking you in the teeth. ;)

thanks for all the info....unscrewing the spindle inadvertently seems to most likely reason....is it fair to say that closing a stopcock should always involve screwing it clockwise?

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back