Very low Mileage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I am looking at buying a new car and require a bit of advice. We have been looking for a Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.4 Automatic, Wife has Automatic licence only. The dealer rung up today with a 2011 (60) with just 700 miles on the clock (ex Motability).

With such a low milage I suspect it only got used once a week to go to the shops and as such I am worried about possible damage done to the engine under such conditions, cold starts, oil not up to temperature etc etc.

Am I right to be so cautious over such a low mileage? Or should I ignore this on the account of the car's young age?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Hi Peter,

I don’t think it would worry me all that much as long it’s genuine and the paperwork is in order.

If you think about it the wear is not so much because it’s been standing for days at a time, but the first few minutes after start up and bear in mind modern cars do warm up much faster.

Even a car with a “normal” mileage will still have made lots of short trips, pick up kids, down to the chippy, a couple of miles to the supermarket etc. Doing long runs will not offset or repair the wear of those trips.

Maybe a good blast on the motorway might clean the cobwebs out a bit, but modern cars do run so much cleaner than they used to, anyone had to clean an oiled plug or do a de-coke lately?

Regards,
footprints

The engine will be fine.....what automatics don't like is plenty of manoevring when the oil is cold.
With every auto, regular oil changes are vital (although the garage will deny this one) so you might like to request this. I also try to work in an extra warranty deal if I can, when the dealer warranty expires.
Best of luck with the new motor!
John :)

Thanks Footprints & Burnerman,

The car is in very good condition and all the paperwork checks out, my father-in-law has bought cars from this dealer for 25yrs +, so has a good rep.

The manual on our current car says, "filled for life" for the Automatic transmission fluid! How often should it be changed, I was thinking every 4 years or 40K? Thanks

Peter

Sponsored Links
Ford will deny that it ever needs doing, Peter - but your estimate is about right in my opinion....I've talked to Honda long and hard about this one and they reckon the same.
Basically its a gearbox sump off, internal filter screen cleaned and refilled with top quality oil - which they'll delight in over charging you for.
John :)

Check brakes condition, can rust up if it's been left standing on a forecourt for a couple of years.

The manual on our current car says, "filled for life" for the Automatic transmission fluid! How often should it be changed, I was thinking every 4 years or 40K? Thanks

Peter
M8`s 20 year old 5 series diesel Beemer has just had an auto G.box oil change - it was black after 20 years :LOL: But it`s only done 120k miles - nice old motor ;) He`s had it 6 months - I reckon he`ll get another 5 years out of it

Dear All,

I am looking at buying a new car and require a bit of advice. We have been looking for a Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.4 Automatic, Wife has Automatic licence only. The dealer rung up today with a 2011 (60) with just 700 miles on the clock (ex Motability).

With such a low milage I suspect it only got used once a week to go to the shops and as such I am worried about possible damage done to the engine under such conditions, cold starts, oil not up to temperature etc etc.

Am I right to be so cautious over such a low mileage? Or should I ignore this on the account of the car's young age?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Mobility cars generally do have lower miles compared to the norm. Best thing about ex mobility cars is the really cheap price :)

Sponsored Links
Back