what car should I get

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
For some time I have been looking for a replacement for my Renault scenic 1.6 petrol on a 06 plate and I have a couple of vehicles I'm interested in it would be helpful if anyone out there would like to comment on my choices ?
Firstly how much should I expect to get part ex for my scenic (80,000 miles)
I'm looking at a Mitsubishi pajero 2.8 tdi with 103,000 (1996) miles on the clock £1995
Or a Nissan X trail 2.0 petrol 2002 with 115.000 on the clock £1995
Or a jaguar X type 2.0 d (2003) with 47,000 on the clock £4000
I know the jag is not a good comparison to the two 4x4s but I did want a little more refinement after driving MPV,s for some time and I do like the jag look
But I do also like the space and the driving position that the others offer
They all have reasonable reviews online but is there anything I should be aware of ?
Anyone know what the tax would cost on the Pajero ?

My thoughts so far are the Nissan being a high mileage petrol is probably a bit risky ?
The Mitsubishi is a little old ?
And the jag well the price tag is a little higher but it's a low mileage jag ?
Just maybe not practical for the tip runs etc ?
They are all in good condition but given the age/mileage etc should I be expecting many problems ?...
Any help/advice please

Sponsored Links
All of these are getting a wee bit aged......the Nissan will need timing chains, the Jag may be waiting to pounce.....
Ever thought of a Kia Sorento 4x4 or Skoda Octavia, just for interest?
John :)

To be honest I'm not a fan of skoda (connected with Audi I believe ) and the online reviews are not that good ? Not sure about the kia I will have a look online
I know the vehicles I'm looking at are getting a little dated but I am on a limited budget
I'm under the impression that a diesel will go on for longer with fewer problems than a petrol so the Nissan is at the bottom of my list.
(Jag may be waiting to pounce) ??? Can you elaborate ......
This is a low mileage car with full service history and I have seen plenty online with over 100K for sale
And although not really practical I do have a liking for the X-type
The showgun has good reviews I'm just a little concerned about the age but at under £2000 for a 2.8 with just over 100K on the clock it looks like a lot of car for the money ?

skodas are indeed from the vag stable,but they earn top marks from customer reviews and constantly win awards from auto express.

Sponsored Links
Diesels will last mechanically much longer than petrol vehicles, but unfortunately electronic control means that gremlins will appear.
Jags aren't as good as they should be (in my opinion) and if they do fail then repairs are extortionate.
Any vehicle in the VAG is worth considering, for build quality if nothing else...taxi drivers love them.
The Shogun could be worth considering - as is the Izuzu Trooper if its injection issues have been sorted.
John :)

^ I was going to say that I have known two people over the years who have bought second hand Jags. Both had engine problems, and were very expensive to repair requiring a replacement engine in each case. One was an XJ engine, the other a later engine, not the diesel though.

Ok so I will forget the jag then and to be honest the 4x4s are much more practical for me anyway
I had a look at the shogun today and it's nice and clean with only a couple of very small minor scuffs on the corners of the bumpers (I'm sure they could be polished out )
I can't find the cost of tax though it's a 2.8 tdi as its a 1996 vehicle I'm assuming it's taxed on the engine size rather than the co2 ??? So hopefully Shouldn't be to bad (anyone have any idea of the cost) ?
So what I can find out is that a high percentage of owners rate them quite highly and there are not many problems to worry about
And am I right in thinking that a 2.8 D with only 103K on the clock is quite good ?
Also will the auto box be ok with that mileage on ?
As I say it looks in very good nick for a 20 year old vehicle
I may go for a test drive first what should I be looking for
Do you think it's priced about right for what it is (age/mileage etc) ?

You should also bear in mind that the x-type is a reskinned ford mondeo, its not really a jag, has mainly ford mechanicals. That said the mondeo isnt a bad car.

Forget the Nissan
So look at the jag or not ???
(The mileage looks good and very good condition for age)
I must admit I do fancy the shogun it's ideal for my needs but.........
How much to tax and insure ?
At 103K has it got plenty of life left in it
Are the auto gearboxes reliable
Is £2000. Reasonable for a 1996 shogun

I must admit I do fancy the shogun it's ideal for my needs but.........
How much to tax and insure ?

gov.uk said:
2. Cars and light goods vehicles registered before 1 March 2001

The rate of vehicle tax is based on engine size.

Private or light goods (TC11)
Engine size (cc) Over 1549

Single 12 month payment £230
Single 12 month payment by Direct Debit £230
Total of 12 monthly instalments by Direct Debit £241.50
Single 6 month payment £126.50
Single 6 month payment by Direct Debit £120.75

For insurance rates you could run a comparison search on GoCompare or similar.

Mrs Avocet has a late 2006 X-Trail with about 100k on it. Diesel though. To be honest, I've been disappointed. They're quite fragile in the running gear department. I'm just about to fit my second set of anti roll bar bushes and drop links. Brake calipers last about as long as pads before they seize. (At least they're cheap to buy as recon units though). I've actually spent more on it in 100k than BOTH her previous Alfas (yes, Alfas!) put together!

On a more positive note, it's the best tow car we've ever had and the 4x4 (although not a "proper" 4x4 with a centre diff and low ratio box) is remarkably able on snow and ice. Less good on rough terrain because of limited ground clearance.

The absolute best thing about the car is the UK owners' forum. VERY friendly and knowledgeable bunch:

http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
Back