WORN TYRES ON NEW CAR???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new shape Ford Ka (09) in October with approx 6000 miles on the clock. I recently had to have some work done on one of the wheels after a bump in the snow and was told that both my front wheels were virtually bald and would only get a few more months out of them.
The mechanic had thought I must have done about 20,000 miles because of the wear and couldnt believe it when I showed him only 8,200 on the clock.
Am I right in thinking for the low mileage that my tyres should not be in this state?
Im just wondering if the garage I bought it from has ripped me off somehow. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The first 6000 could of been done by someone who has a tendency to wheel spin, thus reduce the life of the tires considerably. Did you see/know whether they were new when you bought the car?

Did the mechanic check the tracking?

Wouldn't normally expect the tyres to be knackered after 6k; who was the previous registered keeper?

If the tyres have scuffed edges, the tracking needs to be set before the new tyres are put on.
Was your Ka privately owned before you bought it? If it was a rental vehicle then this could explain things.
On such a new vehicle, the tyre make should be the same front and back (including the spare)....if they aren't, then there's a tale to be told.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Was your Ka privately owned before you bought it? If it was a rental vehicle then this could explain things.
My point exactly; I used to buy loads of ex-rentals & fleet cars at auction, all less then 10k miles & easily sold on but even ex-rentals don’t usually suffer to that extent. My money would be on it being an ex dealer demo that's had an extended life as a run around. ;)

I bet you're right....I really abhor the term 'demonstrator' - many cars must have had a hell of a lot of demonstrations :eek:
More likely, they've been booted to hell and back by any Joe Soap employee that needed to use it. A guy I know used to use his for 12 car rallying :confused:
John :)

Put new tyres on and get a 4 wheel track done. Sounds like something is badly out of line somewhere.

Could be they switched the tyres over before selling? To put on another car or flog them to a mate?

How long after the bump in the snow did you go to have the work done? If the bump knocked the tracking out significantly, the tyres could wear very fast. Also, how did the tyres look to you? The legal minimum is 1.6mm over the central 3/4 of the tread width. Most tyres have little bars at the bottom of the tread grooves to show 1.6 When these are flush with the surface of the treads, it's at the limit. If that's how your tyres were, then fair enough. If not, was the garage trying to sell you tyres that you didn't really need?

Local large retail park - Metro Centre -With huge car parks. Know of cases of people coming out after a days shopping to find that their wheels with good tyres have been changed for wheels with bald tyres. Sometimes they dont realise, till much later when it is pointed out to them, occasionally by the police

Sponsored Links
Back