very nosiey cold water feed pipe after flushing the loo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all. for some time now we have lived with this problem. when we flush one specific toilet in out house we experience loud water pipe noise . i have had a look in the cistern and the noise starts just as the float arm is nearing the top of its travel, i can stop the noise by manually lifting the float to shut off what ever the valve is in the cistern. i have played around with the adjust screw at the end on the float arm that i presume alters the shut off height for the float? but its the very last part of the cistern filling that causes the noise to start, i have just noticed a slight trickle of water going into the toilet pan all the time??

cheers for all advice offered.

stu

Sponsored Links
What type of syphon?

Can you post pics?

Water running into the toilet bowl can be a sign of valve seal failure albeit I am not sure this would cause the noise you are on about.

Many of these valve seals can be easily replaced.

There have been oodles of posts on the subject but first you need to know what set up you have inside the cistern.

A picture paints a thousand words...

B

Fit a Fluidmaster fill valve in place of ballcock, brass shank if bottom entry.

Sponsored Links
It is the diaphragm washer in the ball valve that has deformed.
The water it acts as a reed and makes a noise like a foghorn.
About 10 pence from a plumbers merchants and a DIY FIX
Jeff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back