Very Shiny Leyland Oil Eggshell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So today I started putting on some Leyland trade oil based Eggshell, it is supposed to be matched to F&B Hague blue, but when it went on the wood it looked almost green. The walls by comparison are a really nice inky blue. Both colours were mixed on the same machine by the same person.

The difference was so stark that I couldn’t believe they were the same colour, so I did a side by side test on some scrap wood.

Sure enough when wet they looked very similar, but now the emulsion has dried the eggshell looks more like a gloss, so I think this is the problem.

Is there a way (perhaps adding something to the eggshell) to lower the sheen? Or are there any alternatives.

Attachments

• 392A8734-C8F5-4510-925C-574D90CA0146.jpeg
    392A8734-C8F5-4510-925C-574D90CA0146.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 113
  • B88BBE0A-BD1D-480E-ACEB-8EF43717940E.jpeg
    B88BBE0A-BD1D-480E-ACEB-8EF43717940E.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 11E9E3AA-4E53-4724-B470-E4F5D17E0B79.jpeg
    11E9E3AA-4E53-4724-B470-E4F5D17E0B79.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 121
Sponsored Links
What paint was underneath the eggshell before you painted? You could put a clear Matt varnish over the top but seems a bit of a faff.
It does look very shiny for an eggshell. Its6supposed to have the sheen of an egg, hardly and gloss to it at all.

It seems that the sheen of the eggshell on this product is causing the problem, as the two paint colours were tested as being the same.

I have bought an Acrylic Durable Matt to try, so hopefully this will get me the results I want. It's quite remarkable the effect of the sheen on the colour reproduction though.

All oil based paints now take longer to cure post 2010 VOC compliance. The sheen level of the eggshell will drop over the next 2 or 3 weeks.

That said, looking at your photos, I would be surprised if the colour will change that much. A colour that dark normally needs the pigment to be added to a deep base. Did they use a deep base for both the emulsion and the eggshell?

I would advise against using the waterbased matt varnish. If the eggshell is still releasing solvents, you may end up with fisheyes in the varnish and it will not be as durable as the oil based eggshell.

EDIT- you seem to have had both paints colours rescanned- be advised though that when you ask a store to scan colours, they tend to tell you what the closest colour in their range is. They seldom check for the actual Red/Green/Blue levels, the software does that and comes up with the nearest CMYK value in their range.

Then again, have you had both colours scanned again or not? Or do you mean that you told them what colour you want and they used the same machine to automatically add the tint?

In the past, I have used oil based eggshell on woodwork, and matt of the same colour on the walls. There will always be a slight difference. One day a customer asked me to put dead flat acrylic varnish on the wall in the lobby that he rests his bike against. the emulsion became much darker.

Sorry, I digress, if you want to really compare and contrast, use a bit of lining paper, paint both on and leave it for 2 days. The paper is sufficiently absorbent enough to eliminate the glossy effect of the eggshell.

Sponsored Links
I took my scrap piece (third image) to a 3rd party to scan it, as they would have no vested interest in saying it was the same colour. To be fair, when both the emulsion and the eggshell were going on wet, they looked very similar, and then of course the emulsion dried quickly and went darker, the shop owner put a wet thumb print on the dried emulsion and it did again look very similar colour to the egg shell.

I need to wait a few more days for this eggshell to dry before I can rub it back a bit and then add this durable matt. So I'm hoping that will do the trick.

I took my scrap piece (third image) to a 3rd party to scan it, as they would have no vested interest in saying it was the same colour. To be fair, when both the emulsion and the eggshell were going on wet, they looked very similar, and then of course the emulsion dried quickly and went darker, the shop owner put a wet thumb print on the dried emulsion and it did again look very similar colour to the egg shell.

I need to wait a few more days for this eggshell to dry before I can rub it back a bit and then add this durable matt. So I'm hoping that will do the trick.

Fair play.

I would say, just wait.

For future reference... If you add a tiny bit of Terebene (paint driers) to oil based paints it will reduce the drying times (and the curing times, albeit less rapidly) . After 2010, the manufacturers had to reduce the amount of solvents in their paints. They initially added more solids to compensate for the reduced solvents. Jan 2nd 2010, I purchased a tin of oil based eggshell and applied it to previously painted eggshell, it was still sticky the next day. For the first time in my life, I added Terebene. Prior to 2010 I added products that slowed down the initial drying rate, after 2010, I now add things that slow down the initial drying rate and things that will help the paint cure faster.

How long before you reckon I can start to work prepping this oil based egg shell which I need to repaint?

How long before you reckon I can start to work prepping this oil based egg shell which I need to repaint?

Sorry. I don't quite understand the question.

If you want to add Terebene to the new coat (of ob Eggshell) over the existing ob eggshell, then no prep is needed (so long as it has only been a couple of weeks in between coats.

If you want to know how long before you can apply an acrylic matt coat over the eggshell- I honestly do not know. I would guess two weeks. You will however need to sand the current finish to provide a key if you go from the water based over the ob eggshell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back