VERY short flex - 30 amp strip connectors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

This has happened twice. Removing very old sockets on a refurb and found it impossible to put a new socket on with the flex available. I think the sockets must have been connected and then the wires pulled tight from the wall behind, leaving tiny amounts of wire to play with.

My workaround solution has been to use 30amp strip connectors and a bit of 4mm to extend the wire. In the first case, this has ended up being enclosed in its own box with the extension going directly below to a new socket. In the second, there is plenty of room for the whole thing to fit behind the new socket.

Does this setup pass muster for any future inspections? Any advice? All connections are sound and everything in sound mechanical condition.

Thanks,

M

Sponsored Links
yes, but some sockets have terminals that are much easier to insert the wire into and screw up when the socket is closer into its box, than others.

Sponsored Links
Not so much 'not', more that it's very unusual.

So unusual, in fact, that the chances of it having been installed by a professional electrician are vanishingly small.

So if someone who didn't want to buy, or didn't know about, the usual materials has been rewiring a house, I'd be concerned about cockups - I certainly wouldn't be simply changing accessories during a refurb.

And if it was done by a corner-cutting DIYer what are the odds that he had, or went and bought, 2.5mm² flex?

My parents and grandparents, and I suspect many others in their generations (and quite probably other generations), called any electrical cable "flex" - and, in their defence, I suppose that none of the cables we are talking about are 'rigid'!

So I think we may be advised to seek clarification from the OP before drawing too many speculative conclusions!

Kind Regards, John

So I think we may be advised to seek clarification from the OP before drawing too many speculative conclusions!
Good idea. Perhaps we could ask him.
Oh.....
Sigh. Yes, I know you've already asked (that's what stimulated this discussion about flex). I should have written "...we may be advised to await clarification from the OP ..."

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back