Very stiff door handles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had 12 new doors fitted but the builder has put (very cheap?) small handles on them that are so stiff that I can hardly use them. Some of them actually stay in a half position after I have pressed them down.

Builder says that he always uses these, no one has complained before and they probably will become less stiff with use. He can open the doors no problem.

Any thoughts please apart from the obvious one of buying another 12 pairs of decent handles?

Sponsored Links
..... no one has complained before

If he said that to me he would be wearing the door around his neck.

That is a typical "I'm not bothered, you are wrong" answer

He may not have made the hole big enough (or in the right place) for the lever bar through the door - which is the most likely cause of stuck handles

If not, take them off and grease the inside spring.

In any case, its the builder who should sort the problem out to your satisfaction - not his ... he's not living there so its irrelevant if he can open the door

try loosening the handle screws 1 turn!!

if that helps it tells you as woody says he has put the handles or shaft off line and the extra friction caused is overcoming the spring

when fitting handles should be floating rather than resting on the spindle

in other words if the handle will move up and accross by say 6mm the handle should be positioned 3mm up and 3mm accross to line it up with the shaft rather than sit on it and push it down causing extra friction

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back