VERY user friendly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Process of deciding on which panel to install on (recently burgled) house.

First matter to consider:
Although some cabling for front & back doors, and bellbox is present, some additional zones (about 10) need to be wireless ('cause they can't face disturbance).
So we're looking at hybrid system.

Second matter:*This is the key issue*
As a family member has severe learning difficulties, the keypad needs to accept a swipe card / fob or similar, such that will make turning the system off when entering, 'ridiculously' simple and reliable.

Need to alarm about eight windows with contacts, and possibly shock detectors.

No PIRs - Not appropriate as it's essential to have perimeter armed only.

Keypad can be wired (or wireless).

House isn't particularly big, so Ricochet isn't essential, but maybe it would be worth considering for solid reliability?

Dial out reporting is required - and texting would be nice - and possibly ability to check if system is armed by IP - But if IP access proves expensive, it's something we can live without.

I know I'm asking stuff that's been covered before, but the ease of use is something we're looking for particularly, and unless you've actually had the opportunity to become familiarised with the ease of disarming several different systems, it's difficult to make a discission.

I've experience (familiar) with numerous wired panels (Menvier/Scantronic/Texecom) but wireless knowledge is still a bit bleak.

Any advise very very welcomed.

Sponsored Links
As a family member has severe learning difficulties, the keypad needs to accept a swipe card / fob or similar, such that will make turning the system off when entering, 'ridiculously' simple and reliable.
Could this person be talked into handing over the key fob to a criminal ? That has to be considered when deciding how the system is disarm ( and maybe also who can dis-arm it. )

House isn't particularly big, so Ricochet isn't essential, but maybe it would be worth considering for solid reliability?
The size of the house isn't relevant in the choice between one way communication or two communication. It is the reliability of the system. A large house ( longer communication paths ) means more messages will be lost in a one way system than will be in a small house. To ensure almost no lost messages a two way wireless should be used what ever the size of the house. ( or for even more reliability accept the inconvenience of installing wires )

• Thanks
Reactions: SNM
Could this person be talked into handing over the key fob to a criminal ?
Good point. Actually there is always a carer on hand to supervise things, and more than likely the carer will probably assist, but needs to be straight forward for the carer's sake. Inevitably with different carers, some are more accustomed to alarms than others. It would be good if 'Bill' (let's call him) could indicate the 'right' operation to the 'wrong' operation.

( or for even more reliability accept the inconvenience of installing wires )
I'd agree with you every time Bernard, but you know the story - it's not my house.

Sponsored Links
A Galaxy G2-20 or G2-44 with Keyprox, RF portal and IP module will do it. You can get an email or text alert when 'Bill' sets or unsets the system with his tag too.

If he has an issue with the system, you can connect via your smart phone and sort things out remotely.

You're looking at £200 for the parts above and then wireless sensors on top of that at ~£25 each.

• Thanks
Reactions: SNM
Okay I'm beginning to warm to the Galaxy.

I'm assuming the main difference between G2-20 and G2-44 is the number of zones.
Not actually needing more than 20 zones, but is there any other reason to choose the '44'?

No reason to choose the 44 over the 20 other than any future requirement for more zones. The base panel has 12 hard wired zones. Adding an RF portal means you can mix wired/wireless.

The 44 allows more than one RIO (hard wired 8 zone expander) to be added for situations where it makes hard wiring easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back