Vibrating pipes - central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

My central heating has recently started making a sort of humming/vibrating sound as it circulates water. Everything else seems to work fine - new pump last year, but admittedly the system hasn't been flushed or the boiler serviced for at least 3 years. I think the pipes must be vibrating. It comes and goes every minute or two.

Anyone got any ideas? What can I do about this?

Sponsored Links
Hi - I had a similar problem which appeared to be related to the pressure on the boiler creeping up. As soon as the pressure was reduced, the humming went with it. Just a thought?

Cheers Pat

Pat - thanks for that. This might be the problem, but I am not sure how to check what is happening to the pressure in the boiler. Would this tend to increase when the boiler fires up to provide heat?

Hi there is usually a meter on the front of the boiler. There is also a useful faq on this site to explain what is and is not a normal pressure. Yes the pressure does rise when the boiler heat up.

I also had a humming problem on a different system that was solved by using Sentinel x100 Boiler Silencer. Marvellous stuff.

Sponsored Links
I only deal with humming drains :oops: . sorry guys. thought there would be some gas guys about. Very likely the pump. No real problem ,I hope ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back