Vibrating tap - is it serviceable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our kitchen tap is two years old. Recently, particularly in the evenings, it starts dripping on the cold side and the pipework upstairs vibrates dreadfully. If I gently put my finger on the knob I can feel the vibration, and if I then apply slight pressure to stop the drip then all of the noise stops.

Is this a case that the 1/4 turn ceramic washer is worn? How on earth do I get the cartridges out from a design like this?

full

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Most likely that new cartridges would solve the issue. The rod part of the tap head probably unscrews to reveal a grub screw to remove the head.
Screwfix sell cartridges for a few quid and if the splines match then you should be ok with those. Some manufacturers, notably Franke, have specific cartridges and charge silly money for them.

Cheers both. I've just got it to bits - grub screw under the rod. I've ordered a new cartridge for £4 so will give that a go first. I think I have at least a 50/50 chance that I've ordered the right size given the bewildering array of options!

Sponsored Links
Normally I take the cartridge down to a old fashioned Aladins cave plumbers merchants and they just match them up. It's mainly the splines on the head that differ.
Don't give up if the one you've ordered doesn't fit .......just find a old well established plumbers merchants locally and phone them up.

Normally I take the cartridge down to a old fashioned Aladins cave plumbers merchants and they just match them up. It's mainly the splines on the head that differ.
Don't give up if the one you've ordered doesn't fit .......just find a old well established plumbers merchants locally and phone them up.

I normally go to the van to find the one I know I’ve got. But can’t find it and go to the local independent.

Then the bastard rolls out when I’m looking for something else

I normally go to the van to find the one I know I’ve got. But can’t find it and go to the local independent.

Then the bastard rolls out when I’m looking for something else

I know exactly what you mean, you know you've got something you can't find it buy another and the next day you find it whilst looking for something else !
Once could not find my 22mm former for my benders went and bought another .........then the one I couldn't find was there when I got back, !!!! And two of us had been looking for it !

What experiance has taught me is that if I'm going to find something I need it will definately be in the last place I look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back