Vibrating tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cold water tap in my bathroom vibrates when shutting the tap....this has always been the case for the last 5 years....i found the only way to stop it was to turn the inline valve to almost 90 degrees such that you get only slightly above a trickle when you turn the tap on.
This also creates noise because of the water rushing through such a small openng in the valve.

Im guessing the problem is the build up of pressure whent he tap closes and the rubber washer vibrating or something like that....but how can i solve it?

By the way, in case you didnt guess, its a standard tap, not a ceramic one.

THanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
You got it in one!! try replaceing the tap insert or change both as a set of tap toppers available at all merchants

when you say change the tap insert, what exactly are you referring to? DO you mean the complete tap except the main body...i.e. the tap handle complete with the washers?

By the way...im guessing the tap does not need re-grinding - thats only required when the tap doesnt seal properly?

Sponsored Links
The tap insert is the brass part visible when the tap top is removed. It unscrews from the main tap body - that bit is left alone. There are a couple of different varieties of these things though so take the old one with you if possible....B&Q, Wickes etc have a few types. When you put the new insert back in, turn it on a bit first so you don't squash the washer.
If you can't get a new insert, replace the washer at least which you will be able to clearly see, and the rest of the internals can be cleaned up and lubricated with vaseline. John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back