vibration/live switch faceplate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay so I'm really confused with this metal switch I've just installed. I've installed multiple ones around the house with no issues but this one seems to be giving me a weird vibration sensation when the switch is turned on. The electrical screwdriver is showing that it's got a current running through the faceplate too... which is weird as the others don't.

I've double earthed the faceplate, one that is from the cable sleeve and one that earths to the back box... is that not correct? Shouldn't that stop any form of current running through the switch?

Attachments

• IMG_20200218_192813.jpg
    IMG_20200218_192813.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 204
Sponsored Links
All depends on what that earth wire is connected to at the other end - assuming it's connected to anything at all.
The other end should be at the light fitting - but being connected there isn't any guarantee either, since the missing/wrong connection could be elsewhere on the circuit.

It's not safe to use - as a temporary solution it can be replaced with a plastic switch.

All depends on what that earth wire is connected to at the other end - assuming it's connected to anything at all.
The other end should be at the light fitting - but being connected there isn't any guarantee either, since the missing/wrong connection could be elsewhere on the circuit.

It's not safe to use - as a temporary solution it can be replaced with a plastic switch.

That's a good point. An electrician was the one who installed the light fitting... Maybe he's cocked up with it. Will check to see how it's done... You'd expect an electrician to do it properly FML

All our downstairs lighting switches had 70v ac running through the faceplates, turns out previous owner had replaced a light fitting nearest the CU and hadn't fitted the earths correctly!.

The 70v was picked up due to the earth wire running next to Live in the T+E.

Sponsored Links
Just checked and the electrician had cut all the earth's into the fitting and left them disconnected... Sigh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back