vibration/wobble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need a bit of a sanity check here

my nissan almera is suffereing vibration/wobbles under hard acceleration.

when under light throttle it is fine, press the accelreator and the drivetrain starts to shake, cruise throttle and its fine, release throttle and there is a slight vibration/wobble.

i'm sure its engine mounts, but there is a bit of me thinking its driveshafts

and which problem it is is going to denote whether i replace the car or not.

Sponsored Links
Check out the lower gearbox to chassis mount - there's a good chance it's starting to fail.
Just as a P.S I'm seeing many Nissans with severe wear on the front ball joints - nearly ready to part company with the arm in fact. Do check yours at the same time! It's easier to replace the entire arm rather than the joint itself.
John :)

Thanks, I've just done both sets of arms, passenger side spring and anti roll bar links.

Last year it had new rear mount, sump, and clutch.

Where the driveshafts enter the diff.......
Can you move them up and down at all? Diff bearing issues maybe?
(Unlikely, they are build like a tank)
John :)

Sponsored Links
Diffs fine no play in that end.

Will have to try and get under there again at the weekend.

I'm inclined to go with engine mounts as ive already had one fail.

Engine mounts are easy enough to check and cheap enough to replace. At least you could then rule them out.

Wish they were, will cost another £100 for the 3 remaining mounts.

I can't see the transmission mount it's tucked under the battery tray, the front mount visually ok, and the mount on the timing cover can't be seen without removing it.

Nothing seems to wobble, but then it's got the weight of the engine on them.

I'll have a play at the weekend see what can do.

I'm not 'car minded' in any shape or form, but I remember many years ago driving on the M6 and if I started going above 50mph after a stop, the steering wheel would vibrate and shake. Get to 65mph and it would settle down. Had no idea what the cause was but eventually decided to pull in at the next service station and see if I could spot anything obvious.
Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the service station. Shortly after crossing onto the M5 near Bristol, I had a massive front offside blowout at around 65-70mph. Thankfully there were no other cars around as it was about 5.00am and I managed to control the car and get on to the hard shoulder. I learnt later that the wobble had been because of an egg in the tyre. Probably caused by catching it on a raised grating leaving the Keele(?) services in Cheshire early on my trip.
I'm putting this up because sometimes we overlook the simple/obvious things and think it must be something serious.

Cheers Conny.

This is definitely an engine and transmission mission wobble/vibration, strangely enough it doesn't shake the steering lol

I've had this before, I tried everything. Eventually found my front tyres were out of round, even a balancing couldn't solve it.

I've had this before, I tried everything. Eventually found my front tyres were out of round, even a balancing couldn't solve it.
Might just be worth swapping wheels and tyres front to rear and test drive. See if any difference or not for no expense

I had exactly the same experience with a tyre fitted at KwikFit and for some reason I didn't make the instinctive jump to link the two: maybe there was other work done at the same time, but not by them I hasten to add. When I returned it, they tried to charge me for a couple of hundred miles wear, and it took a heated argument to make them back down.

Only under hard acceleration? Any reason to suspect clutch slip or contamination? Do you get any judder at other times when using the clutch? The quick n nasty check for clutch slip is to make a concerted effort to set off with the handbrake on; if the engine stalls promptly all is well, if it doesn't then clutch likely slipping (unless the wheels are successfully spinning), if the car drives off the handbrake is goosed (unless the car is successfully dragging two locked rears)..

Only under hard acceleration? Any reason to suspect clutch slip or contamination? Do you get any judder at other times when using the clutch? The quick n nasty check for clutch slip is to make a concerted effort to set off with the handbrake on; if the engine stalls promptly all is well, if it doesn't then clutch likely slipping (unless the wheels are successfully spinning), if the car drives off the handbrake is goosed (unless the car is successfully dragging two locked rears)..

Clutch was new last year has 6k miles on it, but it doesn't judder or slip.

I've checked out the engine mounts and there isn't anything untoward from what I can see, no rips or tears

Sponsored Links
Back